Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto or update of Discover not work if you don't restart or shut down computer

In this last 4 days I don't shut down my computer, I was have a hard work and my desktop are on in this 4 days (some hours are sleed) and not appear any update...hum...
    I open Discover manually and...yes...some updates for install...
    In 18.04 this not are like now, if you don't shutdown auto check every x hours, and appears the updates...

Regards!

Try the Micro Muon and forget Discover

Comment

I go to try, thanks!
      Discover I don't use for install but its the aplication when we received a update notification.
      Like this days I don't view any notification for new updates, I open manually Discover and I view that, I have updates for install (and then, appears the icon). In 18.04 no this "issue" or problem, if you don't shutdown desktop, every x hours, auto check and notify if are newest updates.

I fo to install and try Micro Muon (I view is made for you ) Great!!

Comment

Glad you like it.
        Of course it's made for me. I really hate Discover.
        Actually, I mildly dislike Muon too :·/ because it goes on and on with "Rebuilding Search index"...

That little script is so much... lighter. I have an icon for it in my dock.
        And of course, updating in a konsole is - IMHO - much more informative.

It was also made by me...

(Es decir, está hecho para mi, pero también por mi ;·)

Comment

Since few years ago I use Synaptic, I like synaptic more than muon, but since I was installed 20.04 I try to use more Muon...I don't like very much but...with one package, only I can block in one version with muon, not with synaptic.
          Never use Discover for install, or synaptic or konsole.

I download your soft and install and try when I finish some works.

Thanks for indicate and share.

It was also made for you but also for you.

(Es decir, está hecho para ti pero también por ti )

Again, thanks.

When I try I posted my results but sure, are very good!

Comment

Discover works fine - for notifications. For updates shown in the notifications, apt is perfect. For finding and installing Synaptic works best. Muon is fine for Synaptic-type work, and in fact I'll also refer to Muon for reviewing repo info. They all have their own strengths, and their own limitations. I use them all at some point. There is no best/worst.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

The Micro-Muon isn't too bad for checking updates...

Click image for larger version

Name:	tt.gif
Views:	1
Size:	917.9 KB
ID:	644752

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                I'll also refer to Muon for reviewing repo info.
                IMO Muon is better for this than Synaptic, because it doesn't authenticate and take the APT lock till it needs to. So, it's quicker for a simple query, and plays better with other tools.

aptitude deserves a mention, too; it's still alive, and aptitude why is quite useful.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  Discover works fine - for notifications. ...
                  But not when you don't shut down or restart computer in some days, Its possible the "issue" isn't in discover, are in kubuntu, I don't know, but I was have, since last thursday, my dektop runing since today (some hours only sleep, but not shut down or reboot) and any notification about new updates.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
                    But (not any) notification about new updates.
                    Maybe there hasn't been any? To be sure, I've been running apt update manually, and it's said all up to date. Maybe our repository mirrors have a problem; that's happened before.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      Maybe there hasn't been any?
                      Hummm... I think that not, because when execute apt update or restart computer appears notification of update.

Maybe our repository mirrors have a problem; that's happened before.
                      It's possible...

Regards.

Comment

After more tests, I can confirm, if you don't shut down or restart computer (for example, 3, 4 or 5 days desktop on or only with sleep) you don't have update notifications, you need restart desktop and when restart and have updates, automatic, open discover when restart desktop...

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                        (Es decir, está hecho para mi, pero también por mi ;·)
                        Está hecho para ti, pero también por ti. Gracias por compartirlo!

Thanks for shared.

I test this days and works fine and I like, easy, run, execute that you want, and if are updates, you can install.

Thanks!

Comment

I seldom shut down my computers, even my 20.04 laptop. I get updates just fine, though if it has been suspended a lot, it can have a delay.
                          Note that 20.04 will automatically download and install *security* updates in the background.

Check this for the timer setting on checking for updates, and when they were last run, and are set to run next:

systemctl list-timers

Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][B]claydoh@claydoh-Pavilion590[/B][COLOR=#000000]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]$ systemctl list-timers              [/COLOR]
                          [B]NEXT                         LEFT        LAST                         PASSED       UNIT                         ACTIVATES
                          [/B]Thu 2020-05-21 16:00:22 EDT  52min left  Thu 2020-05-21 15:04:33 EDT  2min 57s ago anacron.timer                anacron.service
                          [B]Fri [COLOR=#ff0000]2020-05-22 01:26:12 EDT  10h left[/COLOR]    [U][COLOR=#ff0000]Thu 2020-05-21 15:07:25 EDT[/COLOR] [/U] [COLOR=#ff0000]5s ago[/COLOR]      [COLOR=#ff0000] apt-daily.timer              apt-daily.service[/COLOR]
                          [/B]Fri [COLOR=#008000][B]2020-05-22 06:50:52 EDT  15h left    [U]Thu 2020-05-21 06:40:36 EDT  [/U]8h ago       apt-daily-upgrade.timer      apt-daily-upgrade.ser[/B][/COLOR]
                          Fri 2020-05-22 08:02:37 EDT  16h left    Thu 2020-05-21 13:45:54 EDT  1h 21min ago motd-news.timer              motd-news.service
                          Fri 2020-05-22 14:51:09 EDT  23h left    Thu 2020-05-21 14:51:09 EDT  16min ago    systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer systemd-tmpfiles-clea
                          Mon 2020-05-25 00:00:00 EDT  3 days left Mon 2020-05-18 00:00:00 EDT  3 days ago   fstrim.timer                 fstrim.service

[/FONT]
                          You can see if there have been any update checks, and when the last time it happened were, as well as when it is scheduled to again.

it is entirely possible for a fairly new release to not have updates all the time. I have had 20.04 installed for 5 days, and I think i have had two sets of updates, outside of what I have installed manually.

Comment

Humm... in this case...I don't know what think (in my case...)
                            thanks for aclaration of, 20.04will automatically download and install "security" updates in background.

I go to test more days, in this moment, my last reboot was are 6 hours ago, and I have this to the comand:
                            systemctl list-timers
                            Code:
                            ~$ systemctl list-timers
                            NEXT                         LEFT          LAST                         PASSED       UNIT                         ACTIVATES                     
                            Thu 2020-05-21 22:32:16 CEST 43min left    Thu 2020-05-21 21:32:53 CEST 15min ago    anacron.timer                anacron.service               
                            Thu 2020-05-21 22:36:12 CEST 47min left    Thu 2020-05-21 06:25:40 CEST 15h ago      apt-daily.timer              apt-daily.service             
                            Fri 2020-05-22 00:00:00 CEST 2h 11min left Thu 2020-05-21 00:01:12 CEST 21h ago      logrotate.timer              logrotate.service             
                            Fri 2020-05-22 00:00:00 CEST 2h 11min left Thu 2020-05-21 00:01:12 CEST 21h ago      man-db.timer                 man-db.service                
                            Fri 2020-05-22 05:55:31 CEST 8h left       Thu 2020-05-21 14:38:18 CEST 7h ago       fwupd-refresh.timer          fwupd-refresh.service         
                            Fri 2020-05-22 06:17:09 CEST 8h left       Thu 2020-05-21 06:27:43 CEST 15h ago      apt-daily-upgrade.timer      apt-daily-upgrade.service     
                            Fri 2020-05-22 10:45:30 CEST 12h left      Thu 2020-05-21 19:02:02 CEST 2h 46min ago motd-news.timer              motd-news.service             
                            Fri 2020-05-22 17:17:25 CEST 19h left      Thu 2020-05-21 15:44:59 CEST 6h ago       systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
                            Sun 2020-05-24 03:10:48 CEST 2 days left   Sun 2020-05-17 03:10:24 CEST 4 days ago   e2scrub_all.timer            e2scrub_all.service           
                            Mon 2020-05-25 00:00:00 CEST 3 days left   Mon 2020-05-18 00:00:43 CEST 3 days ago   fstrim.timer                 fstrim.service                

10 timers listed.
                            Pass --all to see loaded but inactive timers, too.
                            All appears good (I think), and...

I have had 20.04 installed for 5 days, and I think i have had two sets of updates, outside of what I have installed manually.
                            Its possible are the same 5 days that I have and I don't have any update.

I test in the next days.

Thanks!

Comment

Code:
                              Thu 2020-05-21 22:36:12 CEST 47min left
                              You have 47 mins before the next automatic check

Code:
                              Thu 2020-05-21 06:25:40 CEST 15h ago
                              The automatic last check was 15 hours ago

Comment

Working...
                              X