This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Tor browser

I just did an update via Discover and it installed something called the tor browser -- and that was all. I find nothing about this browser on this forum. I did find a slightly hairy "Beginner's guide" of how to use it here.

Is this really a Good Thing?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

https://vpnoverview.com/privacy/anonymous-browsing/tor/

I don't know what you have on your system that would depend on the Tor browser, but unless you know what it is good for, you probably don't need it.
    It definitely is not a part of a standard install.

Comment

I have the TOR browser installed on my system, but it is only for use in the event of an internet crisis, such as government interdiction on regular 'net traffic.

If you want to know more, start here: https://www.torproject.org/

TOR is NOT for the faint of heart nor is it suitable for everyday browsing of the 'net.

Be warned, TOR will appear to be slower than regular browsers like Pale Moon, Firefox, etc. because it IS slower. There is a valid reason for that, having to do with The Onion Router method of obfuscating your network traffic.

There is plenty of information available about TOR, so you're welcome to explore, starting with some basic research on what it is and how (and when) to use it.

Final note: TOR is not suitable and not designed to use many add-on tools. There are a set of add-ons, preinstalled, which don't compromise the security feature of The Onion Router design. Don't plan on adding bells and whistles like you might do with a normal browser.

[PS] I'm amazed that Discover would do an "automatic" install of TOR. That is NOT normal, nor advised.
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 18, 2020, 09:04 AM.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Brave-browser has TOR browser tabs built in. Alt-Shift-N does it.

I'm not a browser expert, but I like Brave just fine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I decided to delete it. This morning's upgrade did not try to reinstall it.
          'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X