This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teleconference Software ?

The Zoom App has a proven history of being a security issue.
    It gives info to Facebook, LinkedIn, etc whether the user has an account or not.
    All without the users knowledge.

So is there a free or paid for Teleconference (Audio & Visual) package
    for Kubuntu which is safe and secure to use ?

Thanks for any info.

Google Meet is free and works within your browser. Facebook Rooms has a Linux client if I remember correctly.

Comment

I think some of the Zoom app security and privacy issues have been addressed, but not all. We've been using Discord because its free. Its mostly a gamer platform, but its pretty well done. The have a web app, not sure if there is a native Linux app though.

Comment

Zoom 5.0 supposedly fixes a lot of the security issues. IIRC, Zoom has a 100 person limit for a maximum of 40 minutes. Here is the info on the free edition:
        Code:
         Host up to 100 participants
         Unlimited 1 to 1 meetings
         40 mins limit on group meetings
         Unlimited number of meetings
         Ticket Support
          Video Conferencing 
          Web Conferencing 
          Group Collaboration 
          SecuritySecurity
        Teamviewer has a conferencing capability and it is (was?) free for personal use. I used it to remotely control desktops, exchange files and video communicate with people I used to support. I stopped using it because I discovered that it left a daemon on the PS stack after you closed the app. I'm always suspicious of apps that do that.

Jitsi Meet is FOSS and many claim it is better than Zoom.
        https://desktop.jitsi.org/Main/Insta...ableRepository
        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 18, 2020, 03:55 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A lot of what was infamous about Zoom has been fixed, the rest is up to the user (setting up a password protected session, sending everyone to the waiting room for moderator access, etc.). Now that a lot of big name clients, including commercial and government, use Zoom the owners are paying more attention to their product. I know that the U.S. DoD is using Zoom a lot, in certain cases licensed as Zoomgov, during these teleworking days. They host on their own servers, with good security and awareness. Not for the top secret stuff, but for everyday discussions where "you won't be embarrassed if it shows up on CNN" type of information exchanges.

MS Teams is also used a lot in that environment, and it can be configured and protected for some higher levels of security. The open source jitsi is also a well recommended tool.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
          X