This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD RX 5700 series support

Anyone running the new Navi GPUs? Thinking of getting an RX 5700 on sale. How is out of the box support for 20.04?

Do need to fiddle with AMD proprietary drivers, or try exprimental PPAs to get decent performance?

Looks like Radeon support is officially up to 18.04. At least today!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

It should "just work" with linux v5.5+.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        It should "just work" with linux v5.5+.
        18.04 is using 5.3, and 20.04 ships with 5.4.

Are people manually installing 5.5 mainline?

Comment

I'm running Kubuntu 20.04 and have installed kernel 5.6.13. No problems are apparent.
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Sure, try it ...

The farther you get from the stock kernel, the greater the likelihood of something not working right on some "call" to a kernel module. It's not like meat-slicer fast stoppage, it's more like "wow, that was weird".
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              It's not like meat-slicer fast stoppage
              lol. Thats a funny image

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                lol. Thats a funny image
                I was tired - synapses were running into each other

Comment

If anyone wants to know, I'm running 18.04 with kernel 5.3 and the Rx 5700 booted up fine. I upgraded Mesa to 20.2 using the kisak PPA and my native Linux games see to work just fine. The windows games are project for later.

Comment

I just built a new tower. I'm running Kubuntu 20.04 with a Power Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil GPU. Works out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by robhill1965 View Post
                      I just built a new tower. I'm running Kubuntu 20.04 with a Power Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil GPU. Works out of the box.
                      Try kernel 5.7 is your hardware will allow it. It gave me a 10% boost in Folding@home PPD.

I have the powercolor (non red devil). Do you hear a high picthced squeal from your card? It ain't the fan, I checked. It's only audible when the GPU isn't doing much.

Comment

Working...
                      X