This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] VMware Workstation Modules Update Fails

I'm working on my new installation of 20.04. I was able to install Workstation with no problem, but when I try to open it, I get the message that additional modules need to be compiled. When I set that process in motion, I get an error message and a direction to see a log file. I have the file, but I don't know how to read it or what it is telling me. I'm attaching the file in the hope that more experienced eyes can tell me what to do.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

I don't have time to read the log file, but VMWare usually takes from a few weeks to over a month to provide an update compatible with new ubuntu releases. VMWare has to provide kernel modules compatible with the updated ubuntu kernels. I used VMWare workstation for about a decade before I grew tired of this issue. Since switching to VirtualBox, I haven't had a problem because Oracle usually keeps up with the most recent Linux kernel, which is usually a version or two ahead of the one ubuntu uses.
    ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Wow that was fast! Thanks so much, TB. I was unaware that VMWare lagged like that, not having encountered it before. Since I already have a vm from VMware in K 18.04, I'm disinclined to switch programs at this point, but it's good to know that I'm probably not doing anything wrong and that all I need is patience. Now, can anyone send me some?

Comment

If VMWare supports exporting your virtual machine as .ovf or .ova , then you should be able to import it to VirtualBox quite flawlessly.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 14, 2020, 11:04 AM. Reason: typos, as usual
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          If VMWare supports exporting your virtual machine as .ovf or .ova , then you should be able to import it to VirtualBox quite flawlessly.
          That's exactly what I did when I moved over. To make it a clean switch, I copied my VMWare machine files over to the VirtualBox folder and loaded them from there. That enabled me to delete the VMWare folders after successful import to VB. That was a couple of years ago, and I haven't looked back since.
          ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Well, I finally got VMware working. Tanker Bob was correct about VMware's lag, but I found a workaround. The following sequence of commands works for Version 14.1.7:
            ************************************************** ************************************************** *****
            VMWARE_VERSION=workstation-14.1.7
            TMP_FOLDER=/tmp/patch-vmware
            rm -fdr $TMP_FOLDER
            mkdir -p $TMP_FOLDER
            cd $TMP_FOLDER
            git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git
            cd $TMP_FOLDER/vmware-host-modules
            git checkout $VMWARE_VERSION
            git fetch
            make
            sudo make install
            sudo rm /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1/libz.so.1
            sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1/libz.so.1
            sudo /etc/init.d/vmware restart
            ************************************************** ************************************************** *

I found this solution at https://superuser.com/questions/1328...-18-04/1330890

I do not know who devised it. As long as you set the first line to the version of Workstation that you are actually using, you're in business.

(A day later) Well, only sort of in business. The program runs, but does not have VMware Tools installed. From within the VM, trying to reinstall Tools fails. I found Tools for VMware 15.5 and ran those in the vm, but they are not effective with my 14.7 machine. The machine works, but without the benefits of tools.

Workstation Pro 15.5 does not work with 20.04 "out of the box." VMware has not yet created the new modules. As you can see above, one has to be something of a contortionist to get 14.7 to work, and the solution is cludgy and not entirely satisfactory.

So I'm going to try Schwarzer's and Tanker Bob's suggestion.
            Last edited by Don; May 19, 2020, 10:10 AM. Reason: New information

Comment

Don - I went through iterations of that procedure with quite a number of Kubuntu upgrades until VMWare restored compatibility for each version. I haven't had that issue with VirtualBox, although even today VB "officially" doesn't support 20.04 yet. I have no problems with VB 6.1.8 on KB 20.04, even running the 5.6.13 Ubuntu kernel. VMWare would never run on a kernel that new for quite some time after it's release.

Comment

Working...
              X