This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Dolphin not showing Root

I just did a fresh install of 20.04. The left-hand panel of Dolphin shows me Home, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, and Trash, but no Root. Thus, I cannot browse into tmp files as I could with 18.04. Is there some new setting that I'm missing?

Thanks.

At the top where you see ">" click on that, then you will see root(/).
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Edit the KMenu and add a 2nd Dolphin entry. Use a red folder for the icon to distinguish it from the regular Dolphin.
      In the command box put:
      Code:
      [B][FONT=courier new]pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin / [/FONT][/B]
      and save the entry. When you click on the red folder you'll be prompted for your password. You are on your own. Any damage you do to your system is on your head.

Bonus: when you right mouse on a text file and choose "kate" you can edit and save that text file as root.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Verndog, I appreciate the fast response, but there is no operative ">" in my Dolphin. Both ">" and "<" are at the top of the column, but they are greyed out.

Comment

This is weird, but the problem is solved. In the left-hand panel, above "Home" there are two "Places" notations. The top one is just a label. The one underneath is greyed out, but if one right-clicks on it, there is an opportunity to "Add Entry." I added "/" as an entry. Problem solved. Makes no sense to me, but I got the result I wanted. Thanks to Verndog and GreyGeek.

Comment

Don't forget to choose an icon that represents it like the "/_" icon if talking about Dolphin's left panel.
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
            Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
              ... Makes no sense to me, but I got the result I wanted.
              The idea is that it is "redundant", as you get /_root by clicking your partition name in "Devices".
              Still, I wonder why, on a clean 20.04 install, I do get /_root. Maybe because I transferred my neon /home to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                ... you get /_root by clicking your partition name in "Devices"
                I find that illogical on btrfs. I just assumed that clicking on the partition name in devices would get the root of the device, which in btrfs may not be, and in *buntus usually isn't, the Linux root /. Ah well, I can hide it, and I've added a "place" to get the fs root, and use more often than the root "place".
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Yeah, well, it's not my idea
                  It's from this patch on phabricator, strangely enough dated Sep 25 2018, referenced by claydoh in this thread (post #11) - on the same subject.

"This patch removes Root from the default Places panel for new installations, because it's redundant; you can still get to / on your machine in one click using the appropriate disk entry on the bottom of the Places panel. The appropriate disk entry now has a unique icon to help you distinguish it from others (added in D16653).

By removing it, we gain room to add something more useful such as a Recently Used item (see D7446) without making the Places panel show a vertical scrollbar with Dolphin's default size."

[EDIT] BTW, as you can see, I have /_root in Places -probably because of an older /home, but my "unique icon" (K20 partition) is not all that distinguishable... yes, it's got a "/"... but it's... small... ;·)
                  And, with the amount of stuff I have in "Devices", I have to adjust the Dolphin window anyway... still, rather irrelevant one way or the other, I would say. :·)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0514_105220.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	644728
                  Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 14, 2020, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Edit the KMenu and add a 2nd Dolphin entry.
                    Umm... "edit the kmenu"?
                    In dolphin... what-where is that kmenu?
                    ie. how do you edit it?

EDIT
                    Ahh... didn't know what that 'kmenu" was!
                    (Had no reason to edit that before...)
                    Resolved!
                    Last edited by abury; May 31, 2020, 07:10 AM. Reason: Resolved!

Comment

Originally posted by abury View Post
                      Umm... the kmenu?
                      Ahh... didn't know what that 'kmenu" was!
                      In the default panel on a fresh Kubuntu, it looks like

Name:	menuc.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	644784
                      but for many versions of KDE and Kubuntu it was

Name:	kde.png
Views:	2
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	644783
                      so users got in the habit of calling it the K menu. Since it changed I always change it back to the K.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

That was annoying, I don't know why*, perhaps some update, but on the last reboot the dolphin places panel reset itself to the default, trashing the places I'd set up, and using an ugly breeze icon set.

* oops, now I do. Dolphin stores this setup in files called ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel{,.bak,tbcache}, and I was chasing an issue about my bell sound, and I'd become sufficiently frustrated that I was deleting without care, and saw the "bel"... [edit]I actually needed to delete ~/.cache/event-sound-cache.tdb.a4b66f6d6104484083a80205a60257e1.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, silly me.
                        Last edited by jlittle; May 31, 2020, 02:47 AM. Reason: add silly me
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                        X