This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driver realtek

with new kubuntu 20 I have not network connection. Mi card is Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03).
    I reinstalled kubuntu 18.04! the problem is in the kernel 5.4 or above. All new distros with that kernel (ubuntu, manjaro, etc -all in releases 20-) are not possible in my system.
    I tried installing codecs manually and ifconfig does not exist.
    sorry for my little english
    Thanks a lot.

By searching around a bit (with "RTL8111/8168/8411 kernel 5.4" - and narrowing the search to "past month", it seems to be a driver problem.
    Workarounds are probably not worth it.

So... lacking any answers, what I would do is, stay on 18.04, and check periodically with a "testing" installation if it's been fixed (by updating it).
    Not much of a "solution", but... if your search - or a better answer here - does not turn up anything better...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      By searching around a bit (with "RTL8111/8168/8411 kernel 5.4" - and narrowing the search to "past month", it seems to be a driver problem.
      Workarounds are probably not worth it.

So... lacking any answers, what I would do is, stay on 18.04, and check periodically with a "testing" installation if it's been fixed (by updating it).
      Not much of a "solution", but... if your search - or a better answer here - does not turn up anything better...
      thanks for your time

Comment

IF you want to stay with 20.04 you might try installing the linux-5.3 deb packages. Warning- I don't know if that version of the kernel will break something in 20.04 but its worth a try because you have nothing to lose.
        http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...tu-linux-mint/

During the power on boot up hold the shift key to bring up the grub menu. Arrow down to the 5.3 kernel and press the Enter key. If it doesn't error out while booting up then use NetworkManager to setup your wifi.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thank you very much. I'll tray it but i'm affraid...i

Comment

I also had a problem with a couple of wifi adapters that have a Realtek chip. 20.04 LTS did not want to support them. I also needed to drop back to 18.04, again. The newer adapter was difficult, even in 18.04. But I used the command line tool ubuntu-drivers and found the driver for the newer adapter. It's running well. My plan is to wait for 20.04.1 which will be released in July, and try again. With the LTS version of Kubuntu, many problems are usually fixed in that July release - at least that has been true in history.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              I also had a problem with a couple of wifi adapters that have a Realtek chip. 20.04 LTS did not want to support them. I also needed to drop back to 18.04, again. The newer adapter was difficult, even in 18.04. But I used the command line tool ubuntu-drivers and found the driver for the newer adapter. It's running well. My plan is to wait for 20.04.1 which will be released in July, and try again. With the LTS version of Kubuntu, many problems are usually fixed in that July release - at least that has been true in history.
              I hope you right. I'm going to wait for that release too...Buy another network card is a poor solution. I tought -think- linux have a solution for everything.

thank you very much!

Comment

I am having the same issue...Realtek wifi card detects all wifi networks, but won't connect - keeps repeatedly asking for the password, after I upgraded from Kubuntu 19 to 20. How do I let the Kubuntu/KDE team know? Is this thread enough?

Comment

Originally posted by aymanalz View Post
                  I am having the same issue...Realtek wifi card detects all wifi networks, but won't connect - keeps repeatedly asking for the password, after I upgraded from Kubuntu 19 to 20. How do I let the Kubuntu/KDE team know? Is this thread enough?
                  Solved it myself. Followed the instructions here:

https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new

I have the rtl8822be card, for which there are special instructions on that page. Other Realtek cards would work as well, I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                  X