This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Internet] Wi-fi

How to connect to wi-fi on kubuntu 18.04? what is SSID, MODE, BAND and CHANNEL? Where do I put password, wi-fi service info? Thanks

Click on the network icon on your systray. Select the wifi you want to connect to. Click on the 'connect' button, and enter the password.

Now, if you don't see this, you probably don't have your wifi card set up, likely needs a driver. You will need to give us hardware info if this is the case

Comment

The networks button only shows wired connection. When I click on wifi it shows nothing. If by hardware you mean my computer, it is a Dell 3520 laptop. Might I need a driver?

Comment

We would need to know the wifi device info.

Paste the output of the command lspci

and also the output of the command rfkill list

Comment

Also, check the Driver Manager in System Settings and see if it offers anything for wifi.
          One thing you can try right off the bat is to disable Secure Boot in your bios,. that sometimes helps with some devices.
          Last edited by Snowhog; May 16, 2020, 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

CLAYDOH:

The command lspci brought the following: "07:00.0 network controller: qualcom Atheros AR9485 wireless network adapter (Rev. 1)

Driver manager in System Settings says "Your system requires no proprietary
            driver"

james32

Comment

Your AR9485 is a 1X1 SB (i.e, Single Band 2.4GHz device. No 5GHz band).
              It uses the ath9k driver. So does my AR9462 wifi chip.

The fact that it lists using lscpi proves that it is being seen by the system.

DO
              $ lsmod | grep ath
              and see if you get something like the following.
              Code:
              ath3k                  24576  0
              ath9k                 151552  0
              ath9k_common           36864  1 ath9k
              ath9k_hw              475136  2 ath9k_common,ath9k
              bluetooth             581632  42 btrtl,btintel,btbcm,bnep,ath3k,btusb,rfcomm
              ath                    36864  3 ath9k_common,ath9k,ath9k_hw
              mac80211              843776  1 ath9k
              cfg80211              704512  4 ath9k_common,ath9k,ath,mac80211
              If you do then your wifi chip is being recognized and installed, and perhaps all you need to do is open the NetworkManager and configure your access point.

If it doesn't show in the mod list then try
              sudo modprobe mac80211
              sudo modprobe ath9k

and lsmod again.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The ath9k shows in the mod list. When I click on wifi it calls for the following: "SSID, mode, band and channel, What do I use for these.? My router is a spectrumsetup-a3 and my password is outletwalnut734.

Apparently there is something else wrong with my laptop. I will have someone look at it locally. Thank you all for trying to help.
                Last edited by james32; May 23, 2020, 04:09 PM. Reason: No solution found to problem

Comment

Working...
                X