1. Back To Top    #1
    Esteemed Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    04:47 AM

neon - Holy cow Batman

I used neon in the past with some issues. I recently installed one of the Testing ISO's, and was I surprised!
    It work without a hitch. I know there are bugs lurching around, but so far its rock solid. I like the fact its stripped down to the bone.

I can now add what I use, and be free of the rest.

One thing I just discovered, and I'm sure its not neon specific, but new to me. I wanted a desktop clock on my Xubuntu. A simple one without Conky. Nothing I could find.
    Right-click Application Launcher > Add Widgets, then just pull the analog clock to the desktop.. Its there ticking away. I couldn't believe my eyes how easy that was.

The only reason I started using neon vs Kubuntu, is that System Settings on Kubuntu would crash and never recover. Also right-click on hidden icons didn't show all the choices anymore.

For the foreseeable future I'm sticking with neon.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    08:47 AM

3. Back To Top    #3
    Veteran Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    02:47 AM
    Switched to Neon exclusively from kubuntu about a year ago. Before that ran kubuntu on my main rig for "stability". I've found neon to be less buggy in many ways.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    KDE Neon Unstable in a VM;

This mornings updates have broken my X server it appears. Early this morning I ran update and the login screen was in table mode and didn't work. Then 2 hours later, a couple more updates and now only text log in.

Waiting for the next update...
    Please Read Me
    Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

5. Back To Top    #5
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    01:47 AM
    Posted on KDE neon FB page an hour ago:
    KDE neon unstable edition is currently broken, best not upgrade, sorry folks
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    Twin Cities Bicycling Club - "And miles to go before I sleep."

6. Back To Top    #6
    Esteemed Member
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowhog View Post
    Posted on KDE neon FB page an hour ago:
    I had been running unstable, when mine blew out plasma.desktop after an update. That's why I'll on neon stable.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by verndog View Post
    I had been running unstable, when mine blew out plasma.desktop after an update. That's why I'll on neon stable.
    Yeah, UNSTABLE = NOT READY FOR USE.

I want to watch the progress of the newest releases so I run UNSTABLE in a VM. When it breaks, no harm no foul. My daily OS is KDEneon User Edition. It's kind of interesting to see the Info Centers side-by-side.
    Please Read Me
    Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

8. Back To Top    #8
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    The last couple of rounds failed to fix my issue with graphics in the Neon Unstable VM (no X), so I gave up.

This morning I built a new machine using the May 10 ISO (the latest available), installed and booted right to exit. I haven't tried to update it yet.

I noticed something exciting during the installation: They used Calamares installer! Finally! It's simple, works great, has an obvious option to install grub on a device, partition, or not at all. Love it. Also is programmed well enough that when I selected Manual Partitioning and MBR rather than GPT because it's a VM so why go through reserving space for GRUB - the program advised me that using GPT is recommended AND that I would need to eave room for GRUB! Wow, genius. Informative and accurate.

Un-updated: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200520_091921.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	8891
    Last edited by oshunluvr; May 20th 2020 at 01:49 PM.
    Please Read Me

9. Back To Top    #9
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    A note on Calamares: I decided to re-install the VM using GPT this time to see how it worked. I created the 8MB unformatted partition with the "grub-bios" flag as advised. When it tried to install GRUB, the installer crashed. So I re-launched it, reviewed my partition table and re-checked all the boxes, etc. and this time it installed perfectly. I have no idea if I did something wrong or if Calamares just crashed. Anyway, now it works.

BTW: One of the cool things about VMs for testing is SNAPSHOTS. I snapshotted my VM, ran full-upgrade, and it indeed is still broken. So we wait...
    Please Read Me

10. Back To Top    #10
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 4th 2020
    Local Time
    Also. BTW: If you've read my posts on GPT with GRUB, you know the best place to provide space for GRUB is to partition the drive before running the installer and creating the grub-bios partition in the otherwise unused space between sectors 34 and 2047. I wanted to see how the install went for a new-ish user so I didn't make and "advanced" moves ...

...this time
    Please Read Me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast