Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OS is Ubuntu, but the distribution is Kubuntu...
    I was just wondering, is there another command/file/something that will return the actual distro name when queried?

Comment

john@john-desktop:/media/john$ lsb_release -a
      No LSB modules are available.
      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
      Description: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
      Release: 18.04
      Codename: bionic
      john@john-desktop:/media/john$ uname -a
      Linux john-desktop 5.3.0-51-generic #44~18.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 23 14:27:18 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      john@john-desktop:/media/john$ inxi -Sxxx
      System: Host: john-desktop Kernel: 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.5.0
      Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.9 (Qt 5.9.5) dm: sddm,sddm Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
      Nope. Live with it ...
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

OK. So I just fixed the conky and all's well.
        Distro: ${color 607f96}Ku${execi 6000 lsb_release -d | awk '/Description:/ {print substr($2,2,8),$3,$4}'}

Substitutes the U with Ku, gives me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0514_134654.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	644729

Comment

One could just edit /etc/lsb-release

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            What mildly annoys me is what my distro identifies itself as when queried.
            Will querying /var/log/installer/media-info help?
            For Kubuntu, I see
            Code:
            Kubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
              Will querying /var/log/installer/media-info help?
              Yes. and no :·)
              I's dated Dec 20 09:01. Which probably means that it doesn't "mention" point releases, like lsb_release does.
              Also, it's probably why it still says: Kubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Alpha amd64 (20191219)03:34

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              One could just edit /etc/lsb-release
              That's dated Apr 15 13:09
              Which probably :·) means that when the point release is... released, It'll go back to saying "Ubuntu" :·(
              BTW, Neon says "neon" (in lsb_release), even though it's Ubuntu just the same... :·/

Whereas,with my conky "cheat" it says Kubuntu, and should follow the releases.
              Which is just about the only reason I wanted to know this. So I can publish my conkyand not have Kubuntu users have Ubuntu staring them in the face all day.
              Oh well. They can... work it out themselves. My conky is definitely not for beginners.

Comment

That's dated Apr 15 13:09
                Which probably :·) means that when the point release is... released, It'll go back to saying "Ubuntu" :·(
                No, it won't. It's a conffile (https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/09/2...naged-by-dpkg/).
                Local changes to conffiles are not automatically overwritten, you may need to manually adjust it anyway (for version number changes etc. if you put them there).

Whereas,with my conky "cheat" it says Kubuntu, and should follow the releases.
                But it only affects conky, not the "lsb_release -a" command

Comment

The OS is Ubuntu, but the distribution is Kubuntu...
                  No, really, it *is* Ubuntu, always has been.

Everything in Kubuntu is done within Ubuntu, using Ubuntu's infrastructure 100%, under Ubuntu's governance. Canonical owns the name.
                  While third parties in the past have sponsored developers, it has always been an Ubuntu version, not a derivative.

A separate iso does not make it a separate distro, no matter how much I'd like it to be.

Comment

I see. So it's like "Ubuntu KDE", in the same way you have "Linux Mint Cinnamon" or "Linux Mint Xfce".
                    Except Ubuntu - Gnome, Unity, whatever their rather absurd ;·) DE is called - isn't called that or the other, because... "Ubuntu is Ubuntu, beware of rip-offs"... or something. :·)
                    And Kubuntu isn't called "Ubuntu KDE", it's called Kubuntu, because... "Why be clear and informative when you can be confusing"... or something. :·)

Still, I (finally ;·) got it.

All I wanted was for my conky not to stare me in the face all day with "Ubuntu" plastered all over its smirking face. So I'm happy. I was just curious.
                    Because, however Ubuntu it may be, I'm using Kubuntu, I positively dislike Ubuntu, I'm happy with Kubuntu, I burp in the general direction* of Gnome users from the heights of my ivory Plasma tower... er...

@kubicle, thanks for the info, always good to know, as I've just said, all I wanted was, the lsb_release was a mean to an end, not quite it, I cheat :·)

* See John Cleese in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Comment

Burp? I remember it being something a bit smellier [emoji16]

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

You haven't smelled my burps... er, actually, they don't really, I just deemed the original... NSFKFN...

Comment

Now it seems Plasma 5.18.5 is officially available for Kubuntu 20.04 and not just as another PPA package! :O
                          Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
                          Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                          Win 10 sadly
                          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                            Now it seems Plasma 5.18.5 is officially available for Kubuntu 20.04 and not just as another PPA package! :O
                            Yup for LTS releases the updates to plasma LTS (5.18.x ) will be in a ppa first then they do get moved to the normal repos after a bit.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X