This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Startup and shutdown sounds

Not that it matters. I wanted to check whether there are startup and shutdown sounds available for 20.04. If yes, how to set them up. Because I don't hear any. Thanks.

There's Plasma Log In and Log Out among hundreds of other options, but they made it really hard to get to IMO.

System Settings > Notifications > Applications: Configure (button) > Plasma Workspace > Configure Events (button) >

There you'll find what you're looking for. The default Login sound is "Oxygen-Sys-Log-In-Short.ogg" but it is disabled by default. Checking the box next to "Play a sound" will enable it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks a lot. I did the same. But there was no sound when I shut down and then started the system.

I tried to use 2 text files to works as a log. The logout file had one entry. But the log in one had none.

Then I checked the sound settings. The notification sounds are set to zero

I tried to seek it, but it comes back to zero automatically. Looks like hard set there. Not sure whether it is a bug.
      Last edited by Grahm; May 11, 2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I added Speech > Speak Custom Text

For log out - We are leaving --> It played but the sound was too low and unrecognisable.

For log in - Welcome --> It didn't play at all

Also, no entry of log in in the log text file I chose, but logout has all the entries form Knotify fine ( so far ).

Comment

Based on that last screenshot, your sound card isn't installed:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200511_143459.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	644718

Please Read Me

Comment

I see. Is there any fix ? I am able to play sound from music and movies.

Thanks.

Comment

I managed to move the slider to 100 %. Now I can hear login and logout sounds. Thank you.

If we can continue on this thread, is there any possibility that I can have working login logs, just log out logs ?

Comment

What are you using to play music/movies? It could be a missing backend?

phonon-backend-gstreamer
                phonon-backend-gstreamer-common:amd64
                phonon-backend-vlc
                phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer:amd64
                phonon4qt5-backend-vlc:amd64

Please Read Me

Comment

I use VLC and Rhythmbox. Also tried Elisa.

I am not sure about the packages you have mentioned. I installed VLC from the " Discover " store.
                  Last edited by Grahm; May 11, 2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

The muted notification sounds are probably this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407397
                    Should be fixed in plasma 5.18.5 (Ithink focal still has 5.18.4)

Comment

Thanks @kubicle.

Comment

As of now, everything works fine, thanks to you people. But the login log is still 2 KB without entries at all. But log out log is working fine ( which was added the same way as login log ). If possible, help me with that too.

Comment

The login sound has always been 'short'; just a ding IIRC. You don't have to pick that one to use.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I am ok with the login and log out sounds now. I simply do not get any entry in the login log. But logout log works just fine.

Comment

I had to turn on in Pulseaudio, Playback/Systemsounds. Interestingly, in Audio Devices/speakers shows (Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo), whereas Applications/Notification Sounds doesn't show any output.

Comment

Working...
                              X