This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded 19.10 to 20.04 - all fine

Did an in-place upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04. Went smoothly, rebooted without drama.

Slightly surprised to see that not only does it install Thunderbird as the default mail client, but the upgrade process actually removed the entire kdepim suite from my existing install. Mail and config files were untouched so I just manually installed it and it worked fine after.

Still missing Amarok as music player, but had got used to Cantata. Not impressed with new default Elisa, but am trying out Strawberry which harks back to the orginal Amarok via Clementine.

But overall smooth upgrade, no problems. Well done kubuntu team!

Originally posted by bendy View Post

Slightly surprised to see that not only does it install Thunderbird as the default mail client, but the upgrade process actually removed the entire kdepim suite from my existing install. Mail and config files were untouched so I just manually installed it and it worked fine after.
    That does not seem right. Might consider a bug report.

Still missing Amarok
    Unfortunately you'll be waiting a while still

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
      […] but the upgrade process actually removed the entire kdepim suite from my existing install. […]
      Same here, upgrading a test installation from Kubuntu 19.10 to 20.04.

I think this is intended as some time ago someone from the Kubuntu-team mentioned that they would like to get rid of Akonadi, KMail and other stuff in 20.04 and use Thunderbird as the default mail client.

Most important thing is that all your eMail and the config files were still there, isn't it.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 10, 2020, 08:24 AM. Reason: typos, as usual
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

It is fully understandable to remove Kdepim etc from the installer considering the state of things, particularly the broken Gmail access.

But it is not normal to uninstall things a user already has, and goes against previous practices going back to the beginning. It is why I don't think it is intentional.

I'll have to go ask them about it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Same here, upgrading a test installation from Kubuntu 19.10 to 20.04.

I think this is intended as some time ago someone from the Kubuntu-team mentioned that they would like to get rid of Akonadi, KMail and other stuff in 20.04 and use Thunderbird as the default mail client.

Most important thing is that all your eMail and the config files were still there, isn't it.
          https://phabricator.kde.org/T12486
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            […] But it is not normal to uninstall things a user already has, and goes against previous practices going back to the beginning. It is why I don't think it is intentional. […]
            I upgraded another test installation, now from Kubuntu 18.04.4 to 20.04: Akonadi, KMail, etc. are still there afterwards this time - just FYI.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 10, 2020, 03:05 PM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I assume kdepim was on my system as a dependency of kubuntu-desktop from a previous install, and that dependency has been removed.

It makes sense and I'm not really complaining. I wouldn't recommend kmail to a new user and thunderbird is probably a more reliable and better maintained mail client. I just have all my email, contacts and calendar in kdepim, and I've sadly learned to live with it's flakiness.

Comment

Haven't missed Amarok in a very long time. The last good/usable version (in my experience) was 1.4; which is what Clementine is based on. Love Clementine, like Strawberry, purely subjective discrimination among the two.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                X