Preview windows in dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Ok. You have a radically different definition of 'tool tip' than what I learned and experienced for years. Not wrong, just very different.
    Exceptionally well presented!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The panel and the tooltip are displaying the same data, is all I am saying. If you edit the settings for what is shown on the panel, it also affects what is displayed in the tooltip.

KDE calls the mouse-over pop-up box a tooltip, which pretty much the definition of one. the panel is not called a tooltip at all

I thine we are all getting a bit lost in details I think

So going back to your original question(s):

Dolphin pops up a window preview of the file the cursor is on. The pop-up window blocks the file names and is extremely irritaing.

I have search system settings and Dolphin setting and can find no way to turn of the preview.

That pop-up window is irritating and distracting.

How do I turn off the preview feature?
      Do you want to turn off the popup window (ie the tooltip) >>> already answered
      or just the image preview part of it ? (I do not think this can be done)
      or reduce what is shown in the tooltip?
      Or something else?

Sorry we are making things a bit to difficult here.
      Last edited by claydoh; May 09, 2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        F11 has no effect on turning them on or off.
        Well at this point I'm totally "dazed and confused".
        You say:
        I can get both or none.
        Which I take to mean that you can get both [the tooltips and the info panel] or neither.
        But, if you turn the pesky tooltips off, you can still have the info panel (on and off with F11 - which "has no effect on turning them [the tooltips] on or off")
        Now, if the above is true, you can have no "preview window" (the pesky tooltips) and have an info panel on the right if you want to (with F11).

Which, BTW, is exactly what I get here.
        What am I getting wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Well at this point I'm totally "dazed and confused".
          You say:

Which I take to mean that you can get both [the tooltips and the info panel] or neither.
          But, if you turn the pesky tooltips off, you can still have the info panel (on and off with F11 - which "has no effect on turning them [the tooltips] on or off")
          Now, if the above is true, you can have no "preview window" (the pesky tooltips) and have an info panel on the right if you want to (with F11).

Which, BTW, is exactly what I get here.
          What am I getting wrong?
          Okay, did you read my posting above about tool tips and the F11 panel. The F11 panel is not a tool tip no matter what some people like to call it, unless of course common usage now redefines tool tip to mean something other than what it was for 40 years in my personal experience. Panel would be a better name and is the name used in other programs such as Jedit and Kate I believe (my personal experience of Kate is much more limited than Jedit) It could a dockable panel or not. Just look at your own question where you called it "info panel".

So if you usd my definition of tool tip which I described above then I can get tool tips and the preview window or neither. Both are independent in Dolphin from the F11 panel. The panel info and the preview window seem to present the same info, but in a different manner. F11 controls only the panel and not the 'tool tip' or preview window. I have attached a screen shot of the preview window, that LARGE black window in the screen shot. The F11 panel is off to the right side.
          Attached Files

Comment

@geezer, in Kubuntu 20.04, you can also annotate images to point to or to highlight something or even to add some text. Kolourpaint is a program in the standard repositories that lets you do that. Some of us prefer ksnip which is not in the repos but can be installed, according to your risk tolerance and preferences, as a deb, AppImage, or snap package from https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip.

Example: https://camo.githubusercontent.com/0...79706c2e706e67.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I think terminology has become more relaxed given that more nationalities are contributing to projects.

I agree that terming what you see a "tooltip" is a bit much. I might have gone with something like inline preview or mini-preview

Edit: but IMO, "window" wouldn't be appropriate either.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I am confused , (yes a regular occurrence) .

on both 18.04 with a Dolphin 17.something and Neon-testing with a Dolphin 20.something ,,,I can turn off "tool tips" in Dolphin>settings>configure dolphin>general>show tool tips , AND with it off I do NOT get the "preview window" like in your post #19 BUT do get the "tool tip" (on the tool bar) like in your post #14.

turning ON that "tool tip" in Dolphins settings only affects the pop up preview on mouse over of files (like in your post #19)

maybe their is some quirk in the dolphin 19-seres that is doing this to you ??

VINNY
                Last edited by vinnywright; May 10, 2020, 09:59 AM.
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X