This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some specific features questions

I have been a KDE user for close to 20 years, but I switched to XFCE when I felt that Plasma 5 as available in 18.04 was not ready for prime time. I have some specific needs that were not met in 18.04, so here goes:

Does 20.04 allow the use of different wallpapers on each virtual desktop? This is not the same as allowing them only in different activities, a feature that I felt added unnecessary complexity.

Will Dolphin now operate with admin privileges?

Is SUDO still banned?

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Running Dolphin 'as Root' -- No.

sudo has never been 'banned'. Please explain what you mean.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But you can run Dolphin as root on 20.04. I tried just yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Running Dolphin 'as Root' -- No.

sudo has never been 'banned'. Please explain what you mean.
        Had to do with sudo whatever vs admin:// somethingorother

Seems to me that sudo dolphin refused to work. Been too long, and I'm getting old. :-)

And IIRC, the workaround for obtaining root privileges had not yet been written in to Dolphin. It was effectively hamstrung.
        Last edited by Frank616; May 08, 2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

You don't "sudo dolphin", you use the pkexec thing. And you don't sudo kate, because you just don't need it.
          To edit a root-owned file, it asks for the password on save.

Comment

To edit a root-owned file, it asks for the password on save.
            That did not work on the last version of Dolphin I used. It was a 'work in progress'. One USED TO use "sudo dolphin" and "sudo kate" up until recent releases when the devs stopped the former use of "sudo dolphin" but did not yet have written into Dolphin the ability to add the password on save. Therefore, the reason for my query about having 'banned' sudo.

Thanks for taking the time to help out. Though you say you are a recent user of Linux, it is nice to see you sharing what you can! :-)

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
              That did not work on the last version of Dolphin I used.
              Well, it's been the case for the last several versions on Kubuntu, so unless you were running a version of Kubuntu prior to 18.04 (IIRC)....
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That did not work on the last version of Dolphin I used.
                Well you were asking about 20.04... in 20.04 the pkexec trick works just fine. And so does Kate (let you save root-owned files).

query about having 'banned' sudo.
                Well, that too, was a bit of a "missed query", if you'll allow me... sudo works quite well for most non-GUI commands.

Though you say you are a recent user of Linux...
                I didn't say that, did I? I've been using Linux for some 25 years... KDE for some 8...

Comment

I felt that Plasma 5 as available in 18.04 was not ready for prime time.
                  Methinks it may not be, still.. Though many will disagree.

Does 20.04 allow the use of different wallpapers on each virtual desktop? This is not the same as allowing them only in different activities, a feature that I felt added unnecessary complexity.
                  No
                  But.....possibly https://github.com/martenjj/wallpaperswitch

Will Dolphin now operate with admin privileges?
                  Already addressed, opening and editing of files with admin privileges works, without sudo. Creating files/folders, not implemented yet

Is SUDO still banned?
                  banned, seriously? lol there are other file managers, just sayin'

Comment

Originally Posted by Frank616
                    I felt that Plasma 5 as available in 18.04 was not ready for prime time.

Methinks it may not be, still.. Though many will disagree.
                    K. Thanks for the candid answer. :-)

No
                    Thanks again.

Is SUDO still banned?
                    banned, seriously? lol there are other file managers, just sayin'
                    OK, found out what I needed to know. Guess I'll stick with XFCE for another round. Thank you for the pointed and on-topic answers!

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Well, it's been the case for the last several versions on Kubuntu, so unless you were running a version of Kubuntu prior to 18.04 (IIRC)...
                      Probably. I tend to stick with things that work for me and don't notice time going by. I just pulled the old Kubuntu hard drive caddy from the shelf, and I wrote 14.04 on it last. I know that I panned on Plasma 5 early on, so maybe longer than I thought. :-)

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post

I didn't say that, did I? I've been using Linux for some 25 years... KDE for some 8...
                        My mistake. I was looking at another thread linked above, and mistook who was replying to whom. Sorry. :-)

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          That project pointed to the Vallpaper "wallpaper plugin". Configure desktop->get new plugins. Now I have different backgrounds for my virtual desktops, an itch for years now. It doesn't work with the desktop grid effect.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                          X