Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filecheck on a lot of files at the beginning of installation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could be a slight long shot, but have you tried using a different tool to create the USb stick? Or a different thumb drive? Considering the ISO seem to check out, it might be the tool or the device.

Comment

No.
      I used the same USB flashdrive that i always use for installing Linux-distros,
      and the same tool for "burning" the ISO: Universal-USB-Installer, v1.9.6.3
      And I installed 19.10 with it the day before...

But i can try some other tool, and another USB-drive, but i don´t think that would make any difference,
      since that tool and drive always works for installing Linux-distros.
      Last edited by hackerman1; May 07, 2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Still a long shot, with new isos having sometimes different formats and oddities with major new releases. Based on long personal experience here, as well.
        Mkusb has a new version and it specifically removes the new automatic disk check when it creates the iso for 20.04, for example., but that is a Linux tool
        Etcher is a good, reliable cross-platform choice, among others (unetbootin and Ubuntu's usb-creator are crappy) I believe it uses dd under the hood, which is the only solidly reliable method for creating bootable *buntu sticks, other tools do custom things with the boot setup, and as Ubuntu is a hybrid EFI/Legacy bios compatible image, other tools can sometimes create duds.
        Rufus is usually solid as well

Might be worth a try, especially if no one can reproduce your experience with the iso itself. I can't get any errors using a couple of sticks here, but I am not using Windows to be able to use Universal-USB-Installer

Comment

Can I suggest an iso boot from an SSD? The checks run much faster, at least on my desktop. If you want to install to the SSD the iso is on, I do that all the time, but there's a couple of tricks.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

The time it takes to do the filecheck is not the problem.
            The check can be skipped by pressing Crtl-C...

The "weird" errormessage about errors in 3 files, and that i might get problems if i install it,
            without telling WHICH files, is why i asked if this filecheck is just a bug, or something i can ignore.

Comment

As none of us are seeing any errors in the file check at we can't say, without determining what the files are.

Ill see if I can find out where or if it logs this but I'm working a long shift today. Could be a while.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

From what i saw it is graphic drivers, Nvidia etc...

After the filecheck has finished, is there a log somewhere ?
                Last edited by hackerman1; May 08, 2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Yesterday i tried Ubuntu 20.04 instead.
                  It started the same filecheck, and ended with the same erorrmessage: "Errors in 3 files, you might encounter problems if you install Ubuntu".

This time i watched the filecheck until the end, and it was not only graphic drivers, it seemed to be ALL files from the ISO.

2 Operating systems, and 3 different ISO´s.
                  This can´t be a "bad" ISO...
                  Last edited by hackerman1; May 10, 2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Is it remotely possible your PC (some 'feature' in the BIOS) is doing this file checking? Given that no one else is/has experienced this, I'd be suspecting your hardware/firmware. Just a thought.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Is it remotely possible your PC (some 'feature' in the BIOS) is doing this file checking? Given that no one else is/has experienced this, I'd be suspecting your hardware/firmware. Just a thought.
                      The filesystem check is normal now. It is now run automatically. The errors are what is not normal .

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        NO...
                        Is is Kubuntu (+ Ubuntu)
                        After booting from USB, It starts immediately after pressing enter at the menu: Install, Advanced options etc.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          The filesystem check is normal now. It is now run automatically. The errors are what is not normal .
                          Yes.
                          Saying "Errors in 3 files, you might encounter problems if you install", and not specifying WHICH files is weird.
                          It should of course be logged, so that the user can check these errors when the filecheck has ended.
                          How else can i know if those 3 errors are real, and can cause problems, or if they are just a bug
                          Last edited by hackerman1; May 11, 2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I solved the problem.
                            I installed Kubuntu 19.10 instead...

Doing a filecheck before installing is not a bad idea, but presenting useless errormessages are...

I don´t want to waste a lot of time installing 20.04, upgrading it and installing other programs etc,
                            and then to have problems later on, and then be forced to start all over from scratch, installing another O/S instead.
                            Last edited by hackerman1; May 11, 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              […]but have you tried using a different tool to create the USb stick?[…]
                              Did you already try that?

I would suggest trying belanaEtcher, because it is easily installed and removed again (AppImage):
                              https://www.balena.io/etcher/

PS: Kubuntu 19.10 is officially end of life in July 2020…
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 11, 2020, 11:33 AM.
                              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally Posted by claydoh
                                […]but have you tried using a different tool to create the USb stick?[…]

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                                Did you already try that?
                                Yes, i used Rufus.
                                No change, same errormessage about 3 files.

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                                PS: Kubuntu 19.10 is officially end of life in July 2020…
                                Yes, i know, that was the reason i wanted 20.04...
                                Upgrading 19.10 in august...

Comment

Working...
                                X