Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filecheck on a lot of files at the beginning of installation ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filecheck on a lot of files at the beginning of installation ?

I tried to install Kubuntu 20.04, but it started a filecheck on a lot of files.
    Edit: this was immediately after pressing "Enter" at the first menu,
    before getting the option to "Try" or "Install.

It looked like a check for graphic drivers, fx. i saw Nvidia mentioned several times.
    It ended with a message, something like: "Errors in 3 files, you might encounter problems if you install Kubuntu"

What is this ?
    A bug in the installer ?
    Can i ignore it ?
    Is it safe to install Kubuntu 20.04, or should i wait until this have been fixed ?

EDIT: Yesterday i tried Ubuntu 20.04 instead.
    It started the same filecheck, and ended with the same erorrmessage: "Errors in 3 files, you might encounter problems if you install Ubuntu".

This time i watched the filecheck until the end, and it was not only graphic drivers, it seemed to be ALL files from the ISO.

2 Operating systems, and 3 downloads.
    This can´t be a "bad" ISO...
    Last edited by hackerman1; May 10, 2020, 05:32 PM.

I don't see this as a bug. Either the devs decided it was a good idea check files before launching the ISO (probably because most users don't take the time to do a checksum verification), or the Ubuntu crew put that in.

However, if you saw three bad files in there, you'd better get a new copy of the ISO and verify the checksum. Then try again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sounds more like the download you are trying to install from is suspect. Where did you get the .iso file from, how did you download it, did you checksum the download to ensure there were no errors, how did you burn the .iso and to what: USB or DVD?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have verified that the SHA-256 checksum is correct.
        I have downloaded and "burned" the ISO-file to an USB-flashdrive twice.

The first time i just clicked on the blue icon "64-Bit Download":
        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...ktop-amd64.iso

The second time i decided to download from a "local" server :
        http://se.cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu...ktop-amd64.iso

And i get the same errormessage about those 3 files...

I have installed Linux-distros before, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE etc., but never seen something like this.
        And i installed Kubuntu 19.10 the day before i tried to install 20.04, using the same USB flashdrive, and had no problem at all.

Comment

Have you tried the Try Kubuntu option (run Kubuntu 20.04 instead of installing it)? If you haven't, do so and see what does and does not work 'as expected' with your hardware.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

.Weird because I just installed from the ISO a few hours ago into a VM and had no problems

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Have you tried the Try Kubuntu option (run Kubuntu 20.04 instead of installing it)?
              No, but i can try that.

After booting from USB flashdrive i just pressed "Enter" to install it, and saw the filecheck, and the errormessage about those 3 files.
              What is really weird is that there was no info about WHICH 3 files it was...

Comment

I saw this in the beta, though I did not see any actual errors shown. *bunntu now automatically runs the file system check though it is often awkward noticing how to skip it (crtl-c at the right moment)
                Without seeing the exact message shown, it will be hard to tell if it is a true error or something informational.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1875548

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1231...n-ubuntu-20-04

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Have you tried the Try Kubuntu option (run Kubuntu 20.04 instead of installing it)? If you haven't, do so and see what does and does not work 'as expected' with your hardware.
                  The filecheck was immediately after pressing "Enter" at the first menu,
                  before getting the option to "Try" or "Install".

I booted up Kubuntu again, skipped the filecheck, and choose to "Try" it.
                  I started a couple of programs, and I didn´t notice any problems, everything looked normal.

And i don´t think i have any hardware-problems, as i installed kubuntu 19.10 the day before,
                  on the SAME laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Without seeing the exact message shown, it will be hard to tell if it is a true error or something informational.
                    Well, i can try to make a video recording of it...

Comment

Well, if you "installed Kubuntu 19.10 the day before, on the same laptop", it's so likely to be a bad ISO...
                      Unless it was not a bad moment... (link - though totally unrelated - is worth a a laugh, 2m video, release the tension... :·)
                      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 07, 2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                        Well, if you "installed Kubuntu 19.10 the day before, on the same laptop", it's so likely to be a bad ISO...
                        Downloaded twice, and the SHA-256 checksum is correct...?
                        Last edited by Snowhog; May 08, 2020, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Oh, I don't know... maybe the ISO was actually bad, like in itself... maybe wait a day or two... unlikely, but possible, and given the clues/circumstances/whatevers...

Comment

If the ISO was "bad", would the checksum be correct...?

Comment

If it was badly packaged... or had some sort of bug... unlikely but possible...

Comment

Working...
                              X