This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Was One Of Those Moments ...

... when all you can say is "oh, crap". I had 20.04 LTS downloaded and verified. It was burned to a thumb drive, the pure Linux way via dd. It installed perfectly, was running fine, and all that was left was to tweak some software and be off and running for another couple of years.

And then the motherboard, my rock of stability, the thing we had been through so much with, started blowing chunks. I'm pretty sure the new SSDs are alright, and thank goodness I still have my old Toshiba "playground" laptop. It's old and takes its own sweet time to do things, but it works and even is very good with the internet now that its borrowing big brother's Panda Wireless dongle with its two gigantic antennae. Another motherboard is on the way from Newegg, but it won't be the end game - low end ASRock and it will just use parts from "chunky", pending a new updated set of MB, CPU, RAM.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

O.K., the new motherboard came in a day early (THANK YOU, Newegg)! I swapped over the RAM, CPU/cooler, screwed the MB into the case, and installed the video card. I had discovered a couple of small/minor/inconsequential problems with 20.04, and one sort of significant one. The sort of significant one was that the driver (rt2800usb) for my wifi chip (RT5572) no longer appeared in 20.04. I don't know what the issue is, I searched and used find and looked in all the usual places - nope.

So I dropped back to 18.04.4 LTS, and life is good again. I have a new wifi adapter that is on a few lists for being "Linux friendly", so we'll see. I'll probably just wait for the first point release of 20.04 (July ?) and try it again. In the meantime, the ASRock MB is good and its UEFI setup was "correct" from the beginning. So no more "oh, crap",a nd am changing my signature!
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Interesting!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Truly, GG! Other than the wifi issue, I found 20.04 to be really good. Like I said, a few quibbles, but those usually go away by the time the first LTS point release drops in. I still have the 20.04 iso and may try it again before July when I'm sure that the wifi thing is good.

Comment

Working...
        X