This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Super meta key not opening Application Manager

To open the Application Menu super (meta) key no longer opens it, unlike before with 18.04. I've read some reports that people are having problems using a language other than English, but I'm using English. Is it just me? ALT+F1 is set and works but would prefer just one press. Anything I can try?

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...plication-menu ?
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I'm not sure how this helpful? I have ALT+F1 working but would just like to press the meta key as I did in 18.04.

Comment

Well, it fixed it for me Though my alt-f1 had been cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by Iangh View Post
          I'm not sure how this helpful? I have ALT+F1 working but would just like to press the meta key as I did in 18.04.
          Did you try the method that in the wiki referenced by the thread chimak111 suggested? I found it a bit hard to follow, but this is it:
          Code:
          kwriteconfig5 --file ~/.config/kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta "org.kde.plasmashell,/PlasmaShell,org.kde.PlasmaShell,activateLauncherMenu"
          qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
          I tried it, and no errors, but my windows key was working before, so I can't tell if it had any effect, except that it wrote a line in ~/.config/kwinrc.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, guys, get what you're saying now. Followed jlittle's instructions and modified the file, but still not working with meta key, just ALT+F1.

Comment

From Nate Graham's blog, in "This week in KDE":

The System Settings Global Shortcuts page was rewritten from scratch, providing radically better usability, long-requested features such as a global search and the ability to see and configure more than two shortcuts. Nearly all the open bug reports were fixed! (David Redondo, Plasma 5.19.0)

Maybe fixing all those bugs... introduced others ;·)

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                From Nate Graham's blog, in "This week in KDE":

The System Settings Global Shortcuts page was rewritten from scratch, providing radically better usability, long-requested features such as a global search and the ability to see and configure more than two shortcuts. Nearly all the open bug reports were fixed! (David Redondo, Plasma 5.19.0)

Maybe fixing all those bugs... introduced others ;·)
                Those fixes/changes are going into Plasma 5.19, it's quite unlikely (even though not utterly impossible) to have that installed in kubuntu 20.04

Comment

To open the Application Menu super (meta) key no longer opens it, unlike before with 18.04. I've read some reports that people are having problems using a language other than English, but I'm using English. Is it just me? ALT+F1 is set and works but would prefer just one press. Anything I can try?
                  That's weird! I've been using the meta key to open it. The only shortcut I've ever changed was the delete shortcut that was "ambiguous" according to Dolphin.
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
                  Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win / & 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I was reading another thread and somebody said Meta+E opens Dolphin. Mine didn't. Wondered what Met+E did do: I got an 'e' with an umlaut. Then noticed the 'advanced' options on the keyboard had some checked so chose 'default' to clear them. Meta now opens apps menu!!! As well as ALT+Fn1. Why I was using some advanced options I don't know. With time I'm sure I will come across something that doesn't work as before, or maybe not.

Comment

I was reading another thread and somebody said Meta+E opens Dolphin. Mine didn't. Wondered what Met+E did do: I got an 'e' with an umlaut. Then noticed the 'advanced' options on the keyboard had some checked so chose 'default' to clear them. Meta now opens apps menu!!! As well as ALT+Fn1. Why I was using some advanced options I don't know. With time I'm sure I will come across something that doesn't work as before, or maybe not.
                      O_O Mine does open Dolphin as expected. Both Meta and Alt+F1 open the App Menu. Could it be that your box read some older configuration file?
                      Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
                      Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                      Win / & 10 sadly
                      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I wish I knew why-how what triggers the menu losing that key
                        when it does, there are two solutions that work for me:
                        firstly, I set the shortcut to Meta+A (or whatever); once that's done, I find--usually--that before I even get to the +A, the Super key is doing what it's supposed to
                        i.e. Super by itself just works
                        but failing that and weirdly enough, that doesn't always work as expected
                        then I delete the panel and start a fresh one... and that always works
                        but that involves re-purposing the panel, at least for me, but it's worth it just to have that shortcut working

Comment

Working...
                        X