X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner not working

Hi,
    after the installation of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS my scanner as part of the Canon Pixma MG 5750 worked fine. I scanned several documents. The multifunction device is connected to my computer by an usb cable. Meanwhile we had some updates. But now I always get the message that there is an error while opening the device 'pixma: 04A9178E': device in use. But the device is not in use.
    So, what can I do to make the scanner working again? Or is this a new bug?
    Kind regards
    Sigurd

I have a Brother multi-function with a scanner connected by USB, and it still works fine after upgrading to 20.04. You might check that you are using the latest Canon driver for your device, that you are still in your scanner user group, and whatever configuration file changes you made originally are still present. It's possible that one of the updates overwrote the changes you made originally.
    ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Hi Bob,
      As I already wrote, after installation of Kubuntu 20.04 (komplete new installation, no update) the scanner worked fine immediatelly. The strange thing was that the printer did not work. In the settings I could not find my printer Canon Pixma MG 5750 at all. There was not printer of the Pixma series to see. I had to install the printer manually by using the file "cnijfilter2_5.20-1_amd64.deb" from the package "Canon-PIXMA-MG5750-IJ-Printer-Driver.tar.gz". I guess since this time the scanner does not work anymore by saying that the device is in use.
      Kind regards,
      Sigurd

Comment

It says Mint but should work, https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo...-printers.html.

Comment

I will bet that you need the package libsane-dev, which provides the needed pixma scanner library.
          I don't know why Debian/ubuntu have things in this package, it makes no sense to me.

Comment

Scanner not working

Hi,
            I have reinstalled Kubuntu 20.04. But my problem with my multifunction Printer Canon Pixma MG 5750 is still not solved.
            1) There are no printer driver for the Pixma series at all. But I found the right printer driver debian package and could install it manually. Now my printer is working.
            2) The scanner is not working.It recognizes the scanner but always tell my the the device is busy. Please have a look at the attached screenshot.
            How can I make the scanner working again?
            Kind regards
            Sigurd
            Attached Files

Comment

Using the synaptic package manager I have installed the file "libsane-dev": no change. In addition I have installed the file "libghc-bindin": still no change. I still get the same error message. What else can I do?
              Kind regards
              Sigurd

Comment

I had to download a Canon laser printer driver for my MacBook today, so I additionally looked up your Pixma MG 5750 - there are official debian Packagearchives for your model (printing and scanning), they are nearly 5 years old, though:
                https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...nux%20(64-bit)
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 05, 2020, 09:57 AM. Reason: typos, as usual
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

scangearMP is crap for anything other than the most basic scanning, and does not integrate with the more useful tools like Xsane or Skanlite, but is an option. It should work even in 20.04 tho I can't verify.
                  I can't figure out why it would stop working, though. usually once it works with sane, it stays that way in future versions.

Have you tried the common troubleshootting commands listed here
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane_Troubleshooting
                  The ones at the top of the page should give useful info.

Comment

Hi,
                    tomorrow I will try the common troubleshooting advices.
                    Kind regards,
                    Sigurd

Comment

Hi,
                      It is not possible to install scangearMP. Because there are missing dependencies.
                      I tried the list of troubleshooting advices. My scanner is recognized. I installed the repository with the newest sane driver. But I always get the same message that the device is busy. What else can I do?
                      Kind regards,
                      Sigurd
                      Last edited by Sigurd; May 06, 2020, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                        After I tried a lot, there was no way to solve the problem. So I have installed Kubuntu 19.10 again. And there is my printer with the right driver and works. And there is Xsane working again with no problem at all. I guess there is still a lot wrong in Kubuntu 20.04 LTS. Perhaps when the version 20.04.1 will be available with the bug fixes I might change to it.
                        Kind regards
                        Sigurd

Comment

Working...
                        X