This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Focus laptop and software

I was browsing YT this morning and found this video about the Kubuntu Focus laptop and the Kubuntu software it installs.

In addition, one can install the version of Kubuntu as a VM that Kfocus.org installs on their hardware by following the steps here:

https://kfocus.org/wf/reinstall.html

I followed those stops to make a VM using KVM. The website writes a lot about workflow and focus. It also mentions and lists its curated apps. I'm not going to write anything about those topics, you can browse and read the site yourself.

What I found interesting is the instructions on how to create an OEM install, as explained on this link: https://kfocus.org/wf/reinstall.html

I've used Linux for 22 years and Kubuntu for 11 years. I have heard about oem versions of distros, and oem installs, but always assumed that those original equipment manufacturers had special software not available to Joe and Sally Sixpack. How to access the OEM menu of Kubuntu (and all Ubuntu based distros since 2005) wasn't something I looked into because know about it. But, out of curiosity I followed the instructions on the "reinstall" page of kfocus.org and arrived at a 26GB installation of Kubuntu Focus 18.04. The whole process was interesting, and on my laptop in a 40GB vsda it took about 45 minutes, with no failures that were mentioned as a possibility.

Aside from kfocus.org, here are links to ubuntu oem installation methods:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...aller_Overview

So, (NOT including PC vendors who do not link linux systems their home page) System76, Purism, ThinkPenguin, JuneComputers, LinuxCertified, LAC Portland, ZaReason and half a dozen others, we can add kfocus to the list vendors selling PCs with Linux preinstalled.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

26 gb?
    wtf are they putting in there, besides the fugliness of the ui

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      26 gb?
      wtf are they putting in there, besides the fugliness of the ui
      Steam, Minecraft, Insync, BackInTime, nvidia drivers, four desktops, LibreOffice, VLC, Chromium, FF, various games, lots of Windows effects (wobbly, slider, etc), WINE, the kitchen sink and a ton of other stuff.

Basically, it's just a fully populated Kubuntu DE with the system tray on the right side. I thought it would have some special program dev software, statistical apps, a math engine, databases and other STEM stuff, but no. The emphasis on "workflow" is just a ad campaign word salad describing how just about any modern distro can spread apps between desktops and switch to each one rapidly. In reality there is no "focus" on anything. But hey, after playing with it a while, it is a good distro that comes preinstalled on the hardware that you buy, which has a great selection, and the "curated" apps will be supported for the life of your machine. It has BackInTIme set up to take snapshots each hour. I don't know how BackInTime works but the default FS is EXT4 and that's not CoW, so backups probably make full copies of files and folders.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What does snap list show?
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Someone didn't watch the video No snaps or flatpaks.

Having the default panel on the right seems pretty silly. First thing most people would do with that desktop is go to figure out how to change that, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
            Someone didn't watch the video ...
            Very true! And I don't intend to

I had watched the one by TuxDigital (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YBeo9hlzk) some months ago and posted about it then: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...uts-on-desktop.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

So if i were to purchase this, i'd just instantly wipe and recover. The Kfocus repo is unnecessary for many, containing only metapackages that install the core set of applications, bloatware, and fugly theming etc.
              I get the wanting to add custom stuff , considering the price, to be sure. So I am only light-heartedly ribbing them a little bit

Comment

Yeah well, but you wouldn't purchase it, would you? ;·)
                That is like a no-licence car, and you're a sports driver...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                  Yeah well, but you wouldn't purchase it, would you? ;·)
                  That is like a no-licence car, and you're a sports driver...

Well no, it is ugly (to me) as a laptop, and about 5x out of my price range. And only 1080p screen.
                  However, I would purchase it out of principle and monetary support for Kubuntu, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                  X