Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP's GUI reads English despite of Plasma's regional setting - French in my case

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] GIMP's GUI reads English despite of Plasma's regional setting - French in my case

Although I had installed Kubuntu 20.04 using French language from the start, GIMP's GUI was reading English...
    Despite of the fact that GIMP's Preferences > Interface > Language option was set to "System language" by default.

But I've noticed that Ubuntu package language-pack-gnome-fr was not installed on my machine.
    Installing it was enough to solve this issue with GIMP's GUI

As a side note, here were Ubuntu language packages installed by default while installing Kubuntu 20.04 (obviously not enough!):

language-pack-en-base/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé]
    language-pack-en/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé]
    language-pack-fr-base/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé, automatique]
    language-pack-fr/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé]
    language-pack-kde-en/focal,focal,now 1:19.10.0ubuntu1 all [installé]
    language-pack-kde-fr/focal,focal,now 1:19.10.0ubuntu1 all [installé]

I hope this post can speed up resolution for others facing the same issue...

Thank you.

There's something screwy in language handling of GTK apps in Kubuntu 20.04. When I release upgraded from 19.10 all my GTK apps started using French! So did a lot of command line programmes. Even gvim and vim. I had French as the third language in system settings, after British and American English. While I love French (what I can remember of it), I've never used it on a computer. I think I added the language to get some diacritics, or maybe ligatures like "œ". I did not have language-pack-gnome-fr or language-pack-gnome-en installed.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Dear Valdo,

thank you very much for the solution.
      I have had the same problem with GIMP and German localisation.

After installing language-pack-gnome-de via apt (language-pack-gnome-de-base was installed automatically by this) GIMP is finally localised.
      Krita 4.2.9 is still American-English-only, though (will open a seperate thread for Krita these days)…

Everyone have a nice weekend! :-)
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2020, 01:52 AM. Reason: typos
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        Dear Valdo,

thank you very much for the solution.
        I have had the same problem with GIMP and German localisation.

After installing language-pack-gnome-de via apt (language-pack-gnome-de-base was installed automatically by this) GIMP is finally localised.
        Krita 4.2.9 is still American-English-only, though (will open a seperate thread for Krita these days)…

Everyone have a nice weekend! :-)
        Did you try installing language-pack-kde-de as well?

Just saying in case any KDE user needs such package.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
        Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win / & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I did not explicitly install language-pack-kde-de, but it was already installed by default (I think KDE language packs are automatically installed when you chose localised keyboard settings during the installation).

I think on Valdo's computer language-pack-kde-fr was also already there as he wrote so…
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2020, 03:50 AM. Reason: typos, as usual
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            Oh you're right! I hadn't noticed about Krita yet

Well, that one is simple to fix:
            Code:
            $ sudo apt install krita-l10n
            Another issue is that Krita systematically crashes on exit... but that should be raised to https://bugs.kde.org/ (if not already done by someone else, I didn't check).

Comment

Originally posted by Valdo View Post
              Although I had installed Kubuntu 20.04 using French language from the start, GIMP's GUI was reading English...
              Despite of the fact that GIMP's Preferences > Interface > Language option was set to "System language" by default.

But I've noticed that Ubuntu package language-pack-gnome-fr was not installed on my machine.
              Installing it was enough to solve this issue with GIMP's GUI

As a side note, here were Ubuntu language packages installed by default while installing Kubuntu 20.04 (obviously not enough!):

language-pack-en-base/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé]
              language-pack-en/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé]
              language-pack-fr-base/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé, automatique]
              language-pack-fr/focal,focal,now 1:20.04+20200416 all [installé]
              language-pack-kde-en/focal,focal,now 1:19.10.0ubuntu1 all [installé]
              language-pack-kde-fr/focal,focal,now 1:19.10.0ubuntu1 all [installé]

I hope this post can speed up resolution for others facing the same issue...
              Thanks for your post, very help for me!
              In my case, I was have the same problem (in my case my system language is spanish) and gimp appears in english.
              Like you indicate, with the package language-pack-gnome-es the problem solved.

The others packages, like you indicate, are installed automatic.

Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X