No announcement yet.

NetworkManager - do you need it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You uninstalled NetworkManager but you didn't switch to to systemd-networkd first?
    See post #2 for a link to simple instructions (will work without network) if you use DHCP. Check also the comment at the end (both of the post and of the page ;·)

[EDIT] Yakuake is a great thing to have to follow those instructions ;·)

Comment

Thanks Don. I found "sudo dhclient enp2s0" to start network. I'll look at #2.
      edit: found the link info. will follow. thanks.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

Following link:
        https://www.jnvilo.com/cms/sysadmin/...orkd-on-linux/
        Network doesn't autostart. I needed to sudo dhclient eth0 to start network.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Oh, I don't know. It worked for me with just sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            Oh, I don't know. It worked for me with just sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd.
            Did you have to that command each time you reboot? Oh, I forgot to say, I turn off my router each time I power off. I need to find a way to re-start network when I boot up. I remember using Arch linux, it had a different network controller. Might have to review those commands.

edit: It doesn't matter if router is off or on. After a reboot I loose network. I need to "sudo dhclient enp2s0
            " every time I reboot.

edit2: I found the section. Its the last section dealing with Static IP Networking. I have enp2s0 not enp3s0. When I change it, network appears to work but I can't get to a web site. I think its related to that address, gateway
            [Network]
            Address=192.168.10.50/24
            Gateway=192.168.10.1
            DNS=8.8.8.8
            Mine must be different somehow.
            Last edited by verndog; May 02, 2020, 12:47 PM.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

No, I don't have to do anything at boot. And I usually turn off my router too.
              Have you tried with just DHCP?
              What does your ifconfig say anyway?
              Just the first two lines. Mine:

Code:
              ~$ ifconfig
              enp3s0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
                   inet 10.0.0.10  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.0.255
              Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 02, 2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you didn't edit your netplan yaml file and apply the changes.

Please Read Me

Comment

Your right I didn't touch "/etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml" file:
                  Code:
                  # Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
                  network:
                   version: 2
                   renderer: NetworkManager
                  I see on first post you edited that file. I've since put everything back to normal. Will try later, thanks.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                    Your right I didn't touch "/etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml" file:
                    Code:
                    # Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
                    network:
                     version: 2
                     renderer: NetworkManager
                    I see on first post you edited that file. I've since put everything back to normal. Will try later, thanks.
                    One shouldn't really tackle something this technical and then pick and choose what parts to do. The reason I posted all the steps is because they are necessary.

Please Read Me

Comment

One small thing with getting rid of NM: No network icon in the tray.
                      I've been groogling around a lot and the verdict seems to be: No NM, no plasma-nm package, no icon.

I've looked for some alternatives.
                      The Network widget takes up more space than the rest of the tray combined. I tried editing it, no luck. Yuck.
                      There are some network systray widgets on Pling-and-such. All for KDE4 or older. They're all some 10 years old or so.

OK, I don't need it.
                      I wouldn't mind having it - or something like it - though.

Comment

O.K., I'll be a contrarian, again.

To me, the only thing that matters at boot is wall clock time. My machine is not terribly sophisticated. My office is in the bedroom. I hit the power button, turn around to start making up my bed, look over my shoulder and the PC is asking for my password.

The NetworkManager widget takes up less than 1 cm (~1/4") of the system tray.

Getting rid of it is much more effort than any gain there may be.

O.K., it is up to each user how they want to manage their own system, and there is nothing technically wrong with oshunluvr's instructions. I'm pretty sure no animals were harmed in his testing of the process, and it is freely offered with nothing but good will in mind. Other than a few seconds of parallel processing time, and much less wall clock time, for a single-user Linux box - while interesting - there's not much to gain.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          ...the only thing that matters at boot is wall clock time...while interesting - there's not much to gain.
                          I find that true. Another area is system services. Some spend a lot of time tweaking, removing services, for what? Some small gain. It wouldn't matter much to the wall clock time.
                          If one OS's boots 10 seconds faster, what will I gain with that amount of time. I could barely get my lips around my coffee cup in that time saving
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                          X