X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Unrelated to this post...
    If I may do the even-more-unrelated thing... Is there a way you paste the stuff here with colours?
    Because I can't imagine you'd be colourising the stuff line by line... :·/

Comment

Those are cut-n-paste from my Yakauke terminal. The colors come from my prompt setup.

Here's one way: https://askubuntu.com/questions/5176...a-colored-bash

Please Read Me

Comment

Unrelated to this post, but I'm amazed how much snap adds to boot time. 16 entries in systemd-analyze blame for a total of 5.60152 seconds.

I was wondering about this, though for me it only adds ~2.5 seconds (though in parallel no idea how much it slows my boot in real life )

Code:
        claydoh@claydoh-Pavilion590:~$ systemd-analyze blame | grep snap
                   611ms snapd.service
                   342ms snap-vlc-1397.mount
                   294ms snap-core18-1754.mount
                   231ms snap-core-9066.mount
                   228ms snap-core-8935.mount
                   226ms snap-snapd-6953.mount
                   225ms snap-core18-1705.mount
                   167ms snap-vlc-1620.mount
                   113ms snap-snapd-7264.mount
                    15ms snapd.seeded.service
                     2ms snapd.socket

So I noticed two different entries for vlc, the only program I am using via snap at the moment. Actually two for each different snap, actually. Different revisions, for rollback purposes.

So I found this:
        https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...s-to-free.html
        Primarily about lost disk space, but has a couple of useful things that should help reduce the number of items at boot time.

Comment

I understand about changing the colours in the prompt. It works :·)
          But if I paste them here, whether from konsole or from yakuake, they're not coloured.

not@all:~$ source ~/.bashrc

Comment

OK, so purging all the snaps and snapd shortened it by another 7+ seconds. I also took out postfix because I wasn't using it anymore. Now the largest offender is postgres. Interesting that is runs as a service. 2 actually since I have both 9.4 and 11 running concurrently. I wonder if there's a way to only launch postgres when I'm going to use it rather than at every boot.

Another interesting thing is last reboot, systemd-networkd took only 20ms ! That a HUGE difference from the 6-7 seconds NM used.

One of my snap apps was Shotcut video editor, which I hardly use. I replaced it with Flowblade in a Flatpak. No boot time at all and no more loop devices.

Please Read Me

Comment

lrwxrwxrwx 1 stuart stuart 31 Jan 13 16:57 .steampath -> /home/stuart/.steam/sdk32/steam
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 stuart stuart 29 Jan 13 16:57 .steampid -> /home/stuart/.steam/steam.pid
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 stuart stuart 408442 Dec 16 2018 .stuart.kmap
              -rw-r--r-- 1 stuart stuart 0 Aug 15 2018 .sudo_as_admin_successful
              -rwxrwxr-x 1 stuart stuart 105 Apr 2 09:52 syncelements*
              drwxrwxr-x 1 stuart stuart 6 Oct 23 2018 .synergy/
              drwxr-xr-x 1 stuart stuart 0 Aug 15 2018 Templates/
              -rwxrwxr-x 1 stuart stuart 1121 Jan 17 17:53 testrun*
              drwxrwxr-x 1 stuart stuart 22 Sep 9 2014 .ufsxsci/
              drwxr-xr-x 1 stuart stuart 6 May 1 13:29 .var/

Works here, lol. You're just not magic enough

Honestly, not sure why yours is different. Nothing in your profile stood out. Maybe one of the other admins will have an idea.
              Last edited by oshunluvr; May 01, 2020, 01:13 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                I was wondering about this, though for me it only adds ~2.5 seconds (though in parallel no idea how much it slows my boot in real life )

Code:
                claydoh@claydoh-Pavilion590:~$ systemd-analyze blame | grep snap
                           611ms snapd.service
                           342ms snap-vlc-1397.mount
                           294ms snap-core18-1754.mount
                           231ms snap-core-9066.mount
                           228ms snap-core-8935.mount
                           226ms snap-snapd-6953.mount
                           225ms snap-core18-1705.mount
                           167ms snap-vlc-1620.mount
                           113ms snap-snapd-7264.mount
                            15ms snapd.seeded.service
                             2ms snapd.socket

So I noticed two different entries for vlc, the only program I am using via snap at the moment. Actually two for each different snap, actually. Different revisions, for rollback purposes.

So I found this:
                https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...s-to-free.html
                Primarily about lost disk space, but has a couple of useful things that should help reduce the number of items at boot time.

Clay, try this instead: systemd-analyze blame |grep 'loop\|snap'

Please Read Me

Comment

I've modified /home/jerry/.bashrc, ran source /home/jerry/.bashrc and I get color on my bash listings.
                  However, when I copy and paste those listings to this forum I only get black and white, just like Don.
                  Is there a setting on the forum that controls this?
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ẫăắằẵẳâấầẫẩǎåäǟãȧǡąāā̀ảȁȃạặậḁⱥrgh!

Now I'm so curious... I can't find anything with "vbulletin paste colors" either...
                    I'll go crazy... Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_colors.gif
Views:	4
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	644680

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I've modified /home/jerry/.bashrc, ran source /home/jerry/.bashrc and I get color on my bash listings.
                      However, when I copy and paste those listings to this forum I only get black and white, just like Don.
                      Is there a setting on the forum that controls this?
                      "Is there a setting..."

Not that I am aware of.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Maybe it's the method of copy/pasting? If you paste as plain text, it wipes the colors. Obvious, but grasping at straws

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                          Ẫăắằẵẳâấầẫẩǎåäǟãȧǡąāā̀ảȁȃạặậḁⱥrgh!

Now I'm so curious... I can't find anything with "vbulletin paste colors" either...
                          I'll go crazy... [ATTACH=CONFIG]8794[/ATTACH]
                          So I take it that you manually colored each word in that sentence? BTW, was it a long trip?
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Maybe it's the method of copy/pasting? If you paste as plain text, it wipes the colors. Obvious, but grasping at straws

It may depend on how its is copied maybe? Using keyboard shortcut/right click versus simple highlight of text may be acting differently maybe? Or the browser being used.

I know the pasting of text formatting has been bugging me for a few weeks now. It is not specific to kfn for me.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by claydoh; May 02, 2020, 03:57 AM.

Comment

I realise this is
                              a) rather irrelevant
                              b) wildly offtopic
                              But it set such a fly buzzing in my ear that I spent half the morning trying to find out. :·/

I tried switching to wysiwig editor as default. Which is not a bad thing, actually (in Settings, General settings).
                              It makes the "paste from Word" icon more easily found. "Paste from Word" does not work.
                              Following some abstruse leads, I tried switching browsers. And it's true that with Chrome, you do get the colours inside the little paste window.
                              But in the actual reply, they are b/w again.

Wrapping PHP tags makes the text green and blue.
                              HL tags, yellow.
                              Warning tags do this:
                              Warning: Don't use them :·)

I'll spare you the rest, shall I :·)

I hope someone solves this

[EDIT] Yes, I manually coloured each word in that sentence. It took me... less than ten seconds (it's only three words). Less than pasting the ⱥs.:·)
                              Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 02, 2020, 05:00 AM.

Comment

I run "sudo apt purge network-manager", and noticed I had same as post#3 and #11, when I rebooted NetworkManager wasn't even there on blame, neither was there any network!

I realized that I can't re-install network-manager, because I have no network?! What to do

I'm surprise that you guys have network or is it that netplan config for the solution?
                                Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                                X