This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greeting Groovy Gorilla Kubuntu 20.10

Today on the daily build site http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/, Kubuntu 20.10 image was present for download.

I have downloaded it, and installed it on my "Sacrificial" Laptop, and all is well. As it is only one week since the release of the LTS, it is not surprising that it is very similar to the LTS. I am expecting that this will not last for long as enhancements are made in areas such as KDE Plasma, KDE Frameworks, Wayland integration and Kernel Version.

The release in weeks for Ubuntu is:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Groovy_Gorilla.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	649622
    So from this list, it is just starting and it is 1/26th into development. I realize that there are many who will continue with the LTS, but for me, the possibility of having the KDE Plasma approaching 5.20 and the Kernel getting close to 5.8 as well as Wayland integration are not to be missed and will certainly add heaps of new capability.

So come and enjoy the experience of the development of Groovy Gorilla.

It will be interesting to see where the Neon team goes this year in comparison. I swore off .10 releases almost a decade ago because they are so short lived they only caused me problems, now their the same as .04 releases.

I will say the Groovy Gorilla is the best Ubuntu release name ever!
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 30, 2020, 07:28 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      It will be interesting to see where the Neon team goes this year in comparison. I swore off .10 releases almost a decade ago because they are so short lived they only caused me problems.
      Well, they should not go anywhere, other than moving to the 20.04 base, unless i am missing something.
      They already have the build and test systems going, with some things in Jenkins for a focal-unstable build.

Comment

I didn't literally mean they were going to go someplace. I assume they will eventually go to a 20.04 base but that down't mean they will necessarily follow the Ubuntu path in some ways. Wayland for example. The Plasma isn't ready for it, then what?

I do need a new kernel tho, so looking forward to that

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          I will say the Groovy Gorilla is the best Ubuntu release name ever!
          I heartily agree that it is the best name ever, that is why I used the full name in the title of the post.

I have found that I needed to disable the Canonical repository as there was no release file for it. Is it best to not use that repository as it could involve snap packages being installed when it has a release file?

Another oddity is that on a fresh install, Moun Package Manager does not list packages entered into the search line. It starts to be useful after I manually install several packages or use Discover for installing packages. Have you encountered this?

Comment

Have you tried my little update script?

It's sort of a "micro-muon"
            I have an icon for it in my dock, once one gets used to it... it's really useful. :·)

Comment

Some days ago I realized why I was having trouble with Muon. It was, because on a fresh install, the system chose the Australian site for updates. Since this is a new distribution just out of the starting blocks, I thought it best to use the UK site, archive.ubuntu.com, as I consider this to be the centre of the universe for the latest updates.

So all is now well and currently, as solid as a rock.

Comment

Example of IP Address Changes

For some days now I have been trying to resolve NFS connections between two 20.10 laptops and I have finally surmounted all the hurdles placed by 20.10 and my FRITZ!Box 7490 router.

I had no problems with the Ethernet connections, but my main headache was with the Wireless connections. I have finally found that my wireless IP address is NOT retrieved from my router on boot up. It assigns a new address that is well outside that used by my router. I have to disconnect the wireless and then reconnect for it to get the IP address.

I consider this to be a fault in 20.10 as my 20.04 LTS gets my router IP address on boot up.
                I have found that this problem also exists on both 20.10 and 20.04. It only occurs when booting up. I always shutdown when I do not plan to use my Laptop for over an hour. This problem does not not happen on Restart.

On 20.10 with the command ip addr show I get:
                Code:
                :~$ ip addr show
                1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
                  link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
                  inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
                     valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
                  inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
                2: enx00e04c68059c: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
                  link/ether 00:e0:4c:68:05:9c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
                  inet 192.168.178.42/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute enx00e04c68059c
                     valid_lft 863728sec preferred_lft 863728sec
                  inet6 fe80::5cc9:26c:167f:145b/64 scope link noprefixroute 
                3: wlo1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
                  link/ether 0c:54:15:f0:2f:c6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
                 [I][B] inet 192.168.189.35/24 brd 192.168.189.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlo1
                     valid_lft 21329sec preferred_lft 21329sec[/B][/I]
                  inet6 fe80::a7b6:ae83:5647:1bd7/64 scope link noprefixroute 

After Disconnect and then Connect

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
                2: enx00e04c68059c: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
                  inet 192.168.178.42/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute enx00e04c68059c
                     valid_lft 863607sec preferred_lft 863607sec
                  inet6 fe80::5cc9:26c:167f:145b/64 scope link noprefixroute 
                3: wlo1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
                [I][B]  inet 192.168.178.28/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlo1
                     valid_lft 863984sec preferred_lft 863984sec[/B][/I]
                  inet6 fe80::a7b6:ae83:5647:1bd7/64 scope link noprefixroute 
                For 20.04, I get a similar output
                Code:
                     valid_lft 863941sec preferred_lft 863941sec
                  inet6 fe80::4f27:adb0:7ca0:b524/64 scope link noprefixroute 
                  [I][B]inet 192.168.189.35/24 brd 192.168.189.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlo1
                     valid_lft 21542sec preferred_lft 21542sec[/B][/I]
                  inet6 fe80::1a3c:5f26:f846:e9c4/64 scope link noprefixroute 

After Disconnect followed by Connect

valid_lft 863724sec preferred_lft 863724sec
                  inet6 fe80::4f27:adb0:7ca0:b524/64 scope link noprefixroute 
                  [I][B]inet 192.168.178.28/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlo1
                     valid_lft 863985sec preferred_lft 863985sec[/B][/I]
                  inet6 fe80::1a3c:5f26:f846:e9c4/64 scope link noprefixroute 
                On each of these outputs the line of interest is the line 3: wlo1 and the inet address below this line which shows the change in address after I Disconnect and then Connect. It is important to wait for the router to register the disconnection before doing the connect.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with Groovy?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NoWorries; May 11, 2020, 04:04 PM. Reason: Added More Details that demonstrate the Problem

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  For some days now I have been trying to resolve NFS connections between two 20.10 laptops and I have finally surmounted all the hurdles placed by 20.10 and my FRITZ!Box 7490 router.

I had no problems with the Ethernet connections, but my main headache was with the Wireless connections. I have finally found that my wireless IP address is NOT retrieved from my router on boot up. It assigns a new address that is well outside that used by my router. I have to disconnect the wireless and then reconnect for it to get the IP address.

I have found that this problem also exists on both 20.10 and 20.04. It only occurs when booting up. I always shutdown when I do not plan to use my Laptop for over an hour. This problem does not not happen on Restart.
                  A big Thank You to all who fixed this problem.

My system is as solid as a rock, particularly with Network Connection and Disconnection.

Comment

I have been using 20.10 for extensive video editing and it came up trumps. There is one very annoying problem that I did find.

I have been using a loaned 1 TB Samsung Portable SSD T5 on which video files are stored. I needed to rename files using Krename. That went though successfully and I exited Krename using the Close option. However when I tried to safely remove this Removable Drive, I got the message "One of more files on this device are open within an application".

I found using SysGuard that Krename and an associated application file.so was still in memory! By removing all copies of Krename and file.so, I was able to safely remove the drive. In that past I have noticed that when I reboot after using Krename, multiple copies appear on the desktop screen.

This problem also exists on the LTS 20.04. I am not sure if this is a KDE or Kubuntu problem, but I do consider that this needs fixing on both systems.
                    Last edited by NoWorries; May 17, 2020, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Hi,
                      There was two big jump this week in Proposed. Waiting for KDE beta, but Groovy is not there yet. Otherwise, 20.10 runs very well, same for Kernel 5.7.

Code:
                      Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
                      KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
                      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.70.0
                      Qt Version: 5.14.2
                      Kernel Version: 5.7.0-050700rc6-generic

Comment

I've been using kernel 5.6 and haven't really noticed any significant difference. What's new in 5.7?
                        Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
                        Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                        Win / & 10 sadly
                        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
                          Hi,
                          There was two big jump this week in Proposed. Waiting for KDE beta, but Groovy is not there yet.
                          The Plasma beta might be a while (outside a PPA), as it requires 2 completely new source packages, which usually takes some time to persuade an archive admin to review the code/packaging/copyright and accept into Ubuntu,
                          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                            I've been using kernel 5.6 and haven't really noticed any significant difference. What's new in 5.7?
                            The list is long, they prepare for the arrival of Ryzen and Intel next gen, they keep adding new stuff to sensors, btrfs, xfs, exFAT, etc...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...features&num=1

Code:
                            sensors
                            thinkpad-isa-0000
                            Adapter: ISA adapter
                            fan1:           0 RPM
                            temp1:        +40.0°C  
                            temp2:         +0.0°C  
                            temp3:         +0.0°C  
                            temp4:         +0.0°C  
                            temp5:         +0.0°C  
                            temp6:         +0.0°C  
                            temp7:         +0.0°C  
                            temp8:         +0.0°C  

amdgpu-pci-0500
                            Adapter: PCI adapter
                            vddgfx:           N/A  
                            vddnb:            N/A  
                            edge:         +40.0°C  (crit = +80.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)

k10temp-pci-00c3
                            Adapter: PCI adapter
                            Vcore:       931.00 mV 
                            Vsoc:        925.00 mV 
                            Tctl:         +40.4°C  
                            Tdie:         +40.4°C  
                            Icore:        22.00 A  
                            Isoc:          6.50 A  

BAT0-acpi-0
                            Adapter: ACPI interface
                            in0:          12.26 V
                            @acheron, Indeed backports PPA and/or the kde beta PPA are empty, but kde 5.19 is already in the oven (5.18.90).

Comment

I certainly hope 5.18.90 is soon cooked in the oven.

The reason for wanting it ASAP is, because I now have Qt Version 5.14.2 and kontact no longer works.

What I get is:
                              Code:
                              :~$ kontact
                              Qt WebEngine resources not found at /share/qt5/resources. Trying parent directory...
                              Qt WebEngine resources not found at /share/qt5. Trying application directory...
                              Qt WebEngine resources not found at /usr/bin. Trying fallback directory... The application MAY NOT work.
                              Path override failed for key base::DIR_QT_LIBRARY_DATA and path '/home/myname/.kontact'
                              Installed Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /share/qt5/translations/qtwebengine_locales. Trying application directory...
                              Qt WebEngine locales directory not found at location /usr/bin/qtwebengine_locales. Trying fallback directory... Translations MAY NOT not be correct.
                              Path override failed for key ui::DIR_LOCALES and path '/home/myname/.kontact'
                              [0519/090627.620643:ERROR:icu_util.cc(170)] Invalid file descriptor to ICU data received.
                              Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
                              Looks like kontact is not the only culprit with the current QT Version. I have just found that my HP Printer will not scan a document which I can do on the LTS. Groovy gives the following error:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	HP_Scan_Error.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	644747
                              Last edited by NoWorries; May 19, 2020, 04:57 AM. Reason: Found another package that fails with the latest QT Version

Comment

Working...
                              X