This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    My main Groovy Grump that I have is with Kdenlive. I had a major video editing session yesterday and I had to use the LTS in desperation. My problem was that on Groovy, it did not show the red moving options for "Position and Zoom" as I had to combine the images from two video cameras.
    With kdenlive I now have the the red moving options with position and zoom, however I no longer can export an mp4 file. I have searched high and low for a solution and nothing works for me.
    The error I get is shown below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Kdenlive_mp4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	644811

I am beginning to suspect that the problem is with how kdenlive has been built for Groovy.

Comment

kdenlive was built with all options enabled and the built system did not flag anything as missing
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        kdenlive was built with all options enabled and the built system did not flag anything as missing
        That is good news, however I am now wondering why I still have problems on Groovy with Kdenlive version 20.04.2 not rendering mp4 files.

I decided to install a similar version (20.04.1) of Kdenlive on my LTS and it worked correctly. I then copied all files related to Kdenlive from my home directory on the LTS to Groovy. That made no difference to Groovy's Kdenlive failure to render mp4 files.

Can you suggest anything else to try?
        Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 02, 2020, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I remember a comment some time ago that with Groovy, Wayland would be released with it as well.

So I decided to checkout the current state of Wayland. I did this by using the Muon Package Manager and installing applications listed when I entered wayland in the search option. I installed all files with the exception of those with sway, gnome, weston and mir in their name. I also did not install doc files.

After a brief test, I now find that all applications work as they do with the plasma desktop.

I have to make sure that when I change to Wayland, I do that in the restart or start process.

The only "odd" event that I have experienced is that the desktop does not get restored. As I always start with Kontact, Wayland requires me to launch it on startup. All other applications that I have active on shutdown are also absent on restart. At least I know when I have Started with Wayland, as Kontact is not there. I have not found any other oddity to show that I have unknowingly restarted with Wayland.

So I am impressed with the progress that developers have made and will now use Wayland more frequently.

Comment

That is good news, however I am now wondering why I still have problems on Groovy with Kdenlive version 20.04.2 not rendering mp4 files.
            https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=963706

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423635
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks very much acheron alias Sherlock Holmes. Am I am better off waiting for the problems with Groovy ffmpeg to be fixed?

I found that the LTS has ffmpeg version 7:4.2.2-1, which is why it works and Groovy with version 7:4.3-2 fails. Such a relief to know why the difference.

Comment

Thanks very much acheron alias Sherlock Holmes. Am I am better off waiting for the problems with Groovy ffmpeg to be fixed?
                Please try with this when it is available.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlt/6.20.0-2build1

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                  Please try with this when it is available.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mlt/6.20.0-2build1
                  Once again the developers fix problems approaching the speed of light! The updates this morning OZ time fixed the problem and Kdenlive is now purring like a kittenClick image for larger version

Name:	kitten.jpg
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	644812.

No more retreats to my LTS! Thanks very much to all involved.
                  Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 03, 2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for confirming the fix.

Comment

Having been running Groovy Gorilla for about a week now, have to say - Absolutely love the name (sadly not an LTS name) and the system has been running excellently! Running the latest kernel available from Mainline and 20.10 has my aging laptop running like new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200712_101328.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	644829

Comment

Glad you are able to get Kernel 5.7.8 working on your system. I can only assume that you do not have an Nvidia video card as I have found that it fails with those cards.

I have been keeping an eye on this site: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-ker..._filter=groovy

This shows the current build status for the kernel development of 5.7 and 5.8. The main problem at the moment is the build status for the linux-restricted-modules. This gives, at the time of writing, 2400 successfully completed builds and 402 failures.

So I will not be tempted to upgrade my installed kernel until I see no failures in the build.

Comment

Glad you are able to get Kernel 5.7.8 working on your system. I can only assume that you do not have an Nvidia video card as I have found that it fails with those cards.

I have been keeping an eye on this site: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-ker..._filter=groovy

This shows the current build status for the kernel development of 5.7 and 5.8. The main problem at the moment is the build status for the linux-restricted-modules. This gives, at the time of writing, 2400 successfully completed builds and 402 failures.

So I will not be tempted to upgrade my installed kernel until I see no failures in the build.
                          You assume correctly, no Nvidia video card. Overall a great experience with the kernel.

Comment

20200716 iso

Problems getting the following packages this morning:

Code:
                            sudo apt list --upgradable
                            Listing... Done
                            gcc-10-base/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libcc1-0/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libgcc-s1/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libgfortran5/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libgomp1/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libobjc4/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libquadmath0/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            libstdc++6/groovy-proposed 10.1.0-6ubuntu1 amd64 [upgradable from: 10.1.0-3ubuntu1]
                            Changing mirror did not help, but forcing them in Synaptic did it after several attempts.

Code:
                            ls /lib/modules
                            5.7.9-050709-generic  5.8.0-050800rc5daily20200717-generic
                            Also, Grub time out is defaulted to 30 seconds, no way to set it to 5 or 10 seconds (locked).

Code:
                            GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                            GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=false
                            GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
                            GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
                            Plus, since 10 days, Kubuntu does not boot when the bootable stick is made with Rufus 3.5 (failed to load image \grubx64.efi\... at boot). The only way is a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.10 using Startup Disk Creator. 20200707 + 20200716.

Did not have that bug for the entire cycle, but some did.

Lastly, and only for Kernel 5.8-rc1 to 5, disconnecting the power supply kills brightness. The only semi solution is to set screen brightness in Energy Saving to maximum (Ac, battery, low battery). That way, reconnecting the power supply restores brightness level to maximum.

I'm not able to reproduce this issue on stable Kernel.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208341

All the best,

Comment

Looks like this is the problem with linux-restricted-modules on AMD64:-
                              Code:
                              FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module nvidia-uvm.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'radix_tree_preloads'
                              The build seems to fall over building against Nvidia's 390 drivers. Maybe a newer one would fix it?

I do have an Nvidia GPU working fine on their latest 450 driver, so I think I'm gonna sit at kernel 5.7.0 for a while longer.
                              Last edited by WonkoTheSaneUK; Jul 18, 2020, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post
                                I do have an Nvidia GPU working fine on their latest 450 driver, so I think I'm gonna sit at kernel 5.7.0 for a while longer.
                                Do you mean kernel 5.4 which definitely works with the Nvidia GPU?

I really think we should be patient with the developers who are doing their best to get the latest kernel working. Otherwise using kernel 5.7 or 5.8 is likely to cause problems as the current build has 404 failures!

Comment

Working...
                                X