Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5.19 beta is now in the beta and staging-plasma ppa for Groovy. Requires Qt in proposed, so please to not try to install unless you are already UNWISELY using it.

The Kontact crash is due to new QtWebEngine which we are trying to fix at the moment.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Yeah "Groovy Gorilla" is a really cool name, too bad it's not an LTS
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        Plasma 5.19 beta is now in the beta and staging-plasma ppa for Groovy. Requires Qt in proposed, so please to not try to install unless you are already UNWISELY using it.

The Kontact crash is due to new QtWebEngine which we are trying to fix at the moment.
        As you know I am using it UNWISELY.

I am impressed how good you guys are at getting it out of the Oven as you are Master Chefs and I deeply respect your capabilities. Probably a few loose ends to fix as I get the following error:
        Code:
          Error loading QML file: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:30:1: module "org.kde.ksysguard.faces" is not installed
        file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:29:1: module "org.kde.ksysguard.sensors" is not installed
        file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:30:1: module "org.kde.ksysguard.faces" is not installed
        file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.systemmonitor/contents/ui/main.qml:29:1: module "org.kde.ksysguard.sensors" is not installedp, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
        The latest updates have removed this error. So my desktop is now clear with the exception that widgets such as Disk Quota do not work.

I am pleased that Kontact now works like a charm and the Login screen is VERY IMPRESSIVE, and a pleasure to see, ie

Click image for larger version

Name:	KDE_5_18_90.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	644754

I really don't care if this is, or isn't an LTS, as I treat each new version of Kubuntu as the best to use, because it has the latest and best to offer.
        Last edited by NoWorries; May 20, 2020, 04:27 AM. Reason: Removed error text

Comment

Dr Konqui 5.18.90

For adventurous only, KDE beta is the occasion to meet Dr.Konqui. Packages are introducing desktop stability issues, but they get fixed with telemetry.

Enabling the ppa comes with 77 packages + 3 + 17. As for 5.18.5, Driver Manager keeps crashing with a Dr.Konqui pop-up (report sent). This issue was also present in KDE 5.18.80. There is no other bug so far.

Is it a Ryzen motherboard issue or we all have it?

Code:
          Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
          KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.90
          KDE Frameworks Version: 5.70.0
          Qt Version: 5.14.2
          Kernel Version: 5.7.0-050700rc6-generic
          OS Type: 64-bit
          Processors: 8 × AMD Ryzen 7 2700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
          Memory: 7.5 GiB of RAM
          Graphics Processor: AMD RAVEN
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
            As for 5.18.5, Driver Manager keeps crashing with a Dr.Konqui pop-up (report sent). This issue was also present in KDE 5.18.80.
            Looks to be this bug in frameworks 5.70

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421566
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....70.0-0ubuntu2

Code:
              kcmutils (5.70.0-0ubuntu2) groovy; urgency=medium

* Add upstream patch to fix systemsettings crash when attempting to
                 launch an external app. https://bugs.kde.org/421566
                 - debian/patches: upstream_fix-crash-loading-external-app.patch

Comment

Software source opens and scans normally from settings now with the last patch (38). Couldn't be better.
                Thanks to them,

Comment

It is now 5 months to the release of Groovy Gorilla.

I am continuing to find this distribution very stable and I am sure that I am not the only user who uses this UNWISELY.

As I have the Pre-release updates with other repositories selected, the difference with the LTS, from which Groovy migrated, is shown below.

LTS 5 Months to go
                  KDE Plasma Version 5.18.5 5.18.90
                  KDE Frameworks Version 5.69.0 5.70.0
                  QT Version 5.12.8 5.14.2
                  Kernel Version 5.4.0.29-generic 5.4.0-29-generic
                  As you can see in this list, how great Groovy is on all major fronts with the exception of the Kernel Version. This table only highlights the major developments, but I am very happy with the progress being made in other areas. 9 times out of 10 I boot up Groovy and fearlessly use its applications.

A GREAT JOB DONE TO ALL DEVELOPERS. THREE CHEERS TO ALL INVOLVED IN PROGRESSING GROOVY, YOU ARE TO BE CONGRATULATED!!!

Comment

Has anyone noticed that their inbuilt microphone on their Laptop is no longer recognized? I noticed this a couple days ago after updates.

I also have the 19.04 LTS on the same laptop and the inbuilt microphone works OK. So I consider this to be a new "feature" of Groovy. I hope this can be resolved soon.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                      Has anyone noticed that their inbuilt microphone on their Laptop is no longer recognized? I noticed this a couple days ago after updates.

I also have the 19.04 LTS on the same laptop and the inbuilt microphone works OK. So I consider this to be a new "feature" of Groovy. I hope this can be resolved soon.
                      I've seen reports of this elsewhere. Try installing and booting to an older kernel.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the kernel change. Yes, I went back to 5.4.0-33 and it worked OK.

My original problem occurred with Zoom and no one could hear me and I had to change to the LTS! I have just been using Skype to test the sound and, on the previous kernel, I could see Skype listed in the System Settings audio, but on 5.4.0-37 it was not shown!

I have had another check of the LTS and it has kernel 5.4.0.38 and this kernel works with my Laptop microphone.
                        Last edited by NoWorries; Jun 22, 2020, 12:53 AM. Reason: Rechecked LTS

Comment

It is now 4 months to the release of Groovy Gorilla.

I am continuing to find this distribution very stable and I have the Pre-release updates with other repositories selected. So my current System Information compared with a month ago is listed in the table below.

Last Month 4 Months to go
                          KDE Plasma Version 5.18.90 5.18.92
                          KDE Frameworks Version 5.70.0 5.71.0
                          QT Version 5.14.2 5.14.2
                          Kernel Version 5.4.0.29-generic 5.4.0-40-generic
                          As you can see in this list, how great Groovy is progressing on all major fronts.

I also found it interesting that with the kernel update, my internal Laptop microphone is still not working by default. If I use my Laptop phone jack and plug-in headphones it all comes up and can be selected. This still stays visible when I unplug the headphones and it all works. It is only on reboot that this all disappears.

My main Groovy Grump that I have is with Kdenlive. I had a major video editing session yesterday and I had to use the LTS in desperation. My problem was that on Groovy, it did not show the red moving options for "Position and Zoom" as I had to combine the images from two video cameras.

Otherwise, in all other areas that I use frequently, I am very satisfied with Groovy and very pleased with progress at this early stage of development.
                          Last edited by NoWorries; Jun 26, 2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Yep, LTS is called LTS for a reason

But rock on, you're doing well!
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Plasma 5.19.2 just landed in groovy-proposed

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                                Plasma 5.19.2 just landed in groovy-proposed
                                Now in the release pocket, and on the daily iso.

Comment

Working...
                                X