This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kup Backup System not working

I've installed Kubuntu 20.04 today. It went as smooth as one can expect this early in its life. But when I tried to start backup via the built in backup system ("Backups" in system settings), I got the error message:
    The bup program is needed but could not be found, maybe it is not installed?
    I tried to find bup via apt, but no luck. I could not find it at packages.ubuntu.com/ either.

What am I missing?

Best
    Morgenkaff

Huh? "...built in backup system..."

I'm running a stock 20.04, and there is no 'built in backup system' in System Settings or elsewhere.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Still, there is a bup:

Code:
      ~$ apt-cache search bup
      bup - highly efficient file backup system based on git

~$ apt-cache policy bup
      bup:
       Installed: (none)
       Candidate: 0.29-3
       Version table:
          0.29-3 500
             500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
      Therefore:
      Code:
      ~$ bup

Command 'bup' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install bup

Comment

The name of the program is kup-backup.
        Did you install using the EXT4 file system? If so, then kup-backup is one way to go. So is timeshift or backintime-qt.

I've been using Kubuntu since January of 2009 and your post was the first I'd heard of kup-backup.
        It's in the repository and you can install it from there.
        sudo apt install kup-backup

In checking the Internet on its use I found that some folks are having trouble figuring out how to do a restore, and, it doesn't support backing up to a remote site.

I also read that there are two types of backups: versioned and synchronized. The first keeps all copies of a file and if you make a change to a file and then decide you want to rollback to the previous, or a previous, version then versioned is the type that you should select. Synchronized means that when you make a change to a file that change is also made to the backed up version.

Here is a video of the program:

And, an interesting comment posted beneath it by a viewer:
        barkingbandicoot 8 months ago
        I was excited for this. Unfortunately it will not back up all files. Even the developer states it is not a comprehensive system back up. I chose Timeshift again.
        Here is a tutorial for Kup-backup:
        https://averagelinuxuser.com/kup-backup/
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Different one

kup-backup - backup tool for KDE's Plasma desktop

kup-backup:
          Installed: (none)
          Candidate: 0.7.1+dfsg-1
          Version table:
          0.7.1+dfsg-1 500
          500 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages

Comment

As far as I can see, the current repositories for (K)ubuntu 20.04 do contain kup-backup, but no bup - only 18.04 repositories contain bup…
            If I did not miss it, this makes no sense to me, as kup-backup does need bup for its full functionality!

All theory though - I currently use Back In Time for my Linux-systems.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 29, 2020, 02:29 PM. Reason: typos
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Yeah, well I am on 18.04 (as a base, neon 5.18) Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_blush.gif
Views:	8
Size:	845 Bytes
ID:	644675
              Still, what does
              apt-cache policy bup
              say there?

[EDIT] Friend of yours?

Click image for larger version

Name:	schwk.png
Views:	1
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	644676
              Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Apr 29, 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

apt-cache policy bup

-> Kubuntu 18.04 (partner and kubuntu-backports repositories enabled)

bup:

Installiert: (keine)
                Installationskandidat: 0.29-3
                Versionstabelle:
                0.29-3 500
                500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages

-> Kubuntu 20.04 (partner and kubuntu-backports repositories enabled)

bup:
                Installiert: (keine)
                Installationskandidat: (keine)
                Versionstabelle:

That's it - and sorry for the German…

Perhaps the thread opener should give Back In Time for files or Timeshift for system backups a try untill bup is available for 20.04?

PS: @ Mr. Cilly
                I dont' know him - yet… :-D
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 29, 2020, 03:17 PM. Reason: layout & PS

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Well, I don't know... but...

What if you try and install the 18.04 version? It might work...

[EDIT] This one: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/bup
                  Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Apr 29, 2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Since kup-backup uses a git method to make backups and, I assume, restores, why not avoid the middleman and use git directly. I used to use git for a backup tool for both my development directories and my personal files before BTRFS came along. It worked fast and was easy to use. It could move a copy of the tree to a remote site if your git was configured to do so.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Bup is older, Python2 code, which looks to have been removed from Debian, and by osmosis from *bunut.

One can install kup without bup ( which is marked as a 'recommend' as opposed to a 'depend')

Code:
                      sudo apt install kup-backup --no-install-recommends
                      My guess is that this software, which is direct import from Debian, not by Ubuntu themselves, is using the normal packaging conventions of Debian --Ubuntu differs from Debian in that packages marked as 'recommend' are automatically installed. In Debian they are not. And no one has noticed this and reported it yet.

Comment

Well, one could use kup without bup for the "Synchronized Backup" with rsync, but without the option of a "Versioned Backup" with bup in Kubuntu 20.04 then…

Comment

Working...
                        X