No announcement yet.

Sometimes Kubuntu shows black screen before login prompt and does not respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes Kubuntu shows black screen before login prompt and does not respond

Dear community!

I have switched my laptop, but I am still using my old SSD because I have all my data of up to 5 years there. Everything is working fine, but sometimes I have the problem, that the system is booting and also shows me the splash screen, but before the login prompt comes, it shows only a black screen and is not responding anymore. This means I cannot switch to some shell too (e.g., CTRL+SHIFT+F2,...) The only option is to use the power button for a few seconds and try it again. It works more often than it fails but it's really annoying.

I also sometimes get the error that some partition is not responding (e.g., /boot is not responding), but I get this error also sometimes after login, so it may or may not have something to do with the boot problem.

My Laptop is Lenovo E495 with AMD Ryzen 5. I don't know what I can do to improve stability of my system. Does anyone have an idea about this? Of course I can give you more information if you need.

I have still Kubuntu 19.10 because do-release-upgrade is not finding the newest 20.04 release.
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace]pkexec do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE
    Checking for a new Ubuntu release
    No new release found.
    [/FONT]
    Thank you very much for your help!
Working...
X