This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] vlc disappears

HI there, I am working with kubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (bionic) with latest updates, but no general changes. While trying with the "open with" dialog out of dolphin to open a media file with vlc, vlc seems to start, then disappears. Only with the command "killall -9 vlc" and first starting vlc and opening a media-file out of the programm, you can work with it.

I am not shure if the reason is vlc or it is a problem of the windowmanager ... Maybe anyone of you has an idea ...

I had been seeing this in 18.04 and Neon (uses 18.04), though for me it often just freezes when opened.

I suggest installing the snap, as VLC recommends:
    https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Zero issues using their snap, I have had it for some months now.

You can try running vlc from Konsole and see what any errors may be shown, which might help.

I just installed the Ubuntu package, and of course can't get to to crash or lock up

Comment

Hmmm, that is weird. Now I usually just double click on the actual .mp4 file and VLC opens and presents the file. If I right click, use the "open with" dialog and select VLC, again is just opens. Have you tried starting vlc on the command and specifying the video file (vlc ~/Video/blah rest of path to an mp4) to see what vlc is outputting when it dies like that?
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I'm getting the same thing, but in 20.04. Hope there will be a fix for this. Seems to happen if you close a video without watching the whole thing.

I do lot of video editing so I find myself opening and closing many video files fast to see what they are, but with this bug it only lets me open one then I need to kill -9 the vlc process each time if I want to open another. I see the icon go in the task bar but it won't let me close it or do anything.

Comment

I have an even weirder one with VLC :·)
          I'm watching a video, close it half-way through, and... not only I get immediately logged out, but it doesn't resume my session when I log back in :·) Anything I had open, just went POOF.
          One thing though, it only happened like two or three times in the last month or so.
          Another thing though, I don't use VLC much... so... Click image for larger version

Name:	_nonso.gif
Views:	5
Size:	275 Bytes
ID:	644672

~$ vlc --version
          VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
          VLC version 3.0.8 Vetinari (3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
          Compiled by buildd on lcy01-amd64-014.buildd (Sep 11 2019 11:39:37)
          Compiler: gcc version 7.4.0 (Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1)

Comment

Exactly the same version, but never any issues. Have I just jinxed myself
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I have no trouble on 20.04.

I imagine this depends on the graphics hardware. My Kubuntu has the Intel graphics on the CPU.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X