Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Dude, if you're into your boot time, dump NM, jus' sayin'
    What in its place?
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Dude, if you're into your boot time, dump NM, jus' sayin'
      Sorry to ask you this, but whatcha mean with NM here?
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
      Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
        Sorry to ask you this, but whatcha mean with NM here?
        Networkmanager

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Networkmanager
          Connman, maybe?
          Boot Info Script

Comment

@ verndog & kyonides: I think oshunluvr referred to https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...etwork+manager
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
              Connman, maybe?

Netplan

people will howl, as this is a Canonical project of course, so it must be eee-ville

Comment

Sorry, I was trying to have a moment with Clay. You can replace Network Manager with systemd-networkd. Your network startup time can go from 6 secs to 6 tenths of a second...

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh, me?
                  I am not overly interested in boot times, really. I just currently have a sacrificial 20.20 install on my new laptop. Seeing if it has anything in terms of hardware support I could use before neon moves to it as a base.

Mostly playing with touch screen kb and rotation support as a lark at the moment before I put Neon back on it. Was considering getting a bigger m.2, or replacing the sata ssd I added with a bigger one, but that ain't happening right now.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Oh, it sure slows my boot time bu such a yuuuge amount.

Before any snaps, on 20.04
                    [CODE]
                    dohbuoy@dohbuoy-FLEX-15:~$ systemd-analyze
                    Startup finished in 1.622s (kernel) + 7.473s (userspace) = 9.096s
                    graphical.target reached after 7.166s in userspace
                    That's a very fast boot time, compared to mine, which is as of now, 21.728!

Comment

Sorry, I was trying to have a moment with Clay. You can replace Network Manager with systemd-networkd. Your network startup time can go from 6 secs to 6 tenths of a second...
                      How can I do that safely ?
                      In synaptic, I see following networking items
                      Systemd related:
                      - networkd-dispatcher Dispatcher service for systemd-networkd connection status changes

NM related:
                      - network-manager network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
                      - network-manager-pptp network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
                      - Plasma-nm Plasma5 networkmanager library.

Do I just remove all 3 nm items

Here is everything that takes more than 1s

systemd-analyze
                      Startup finished in 5.808s (kernel) + 14.592s (userspace) = 20.400s
                      graphical.target reached after 11.511s in userspace
                      marc@marc-samsung:~$ systemd-analyze blame
                      6.503s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
                      2.177s dev-sda5.device
                      2.101s apt-daily.service
                      1.781s snapd.service
                      1.661s apt-daily-upgrade.service

Also mounting the root partition dev-sda5 seems to take up a lot of time.
                      Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
                      linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
                      A good place to start:
                      Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by selectiveduplicate View Post
                        Well I do have an m.2 ssd and a very current i5 laptop.

My PC takes 30 secs but that's mostly because it's bios s the time sapper despite having a faster ssd as well.

The command
                        Code:
                        systemd-analyze blame
                        will show some useful info on top of the normal systemd-analyze command.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Boot times are - well, times. And at times fun to complain/brag about. But, unless you are sitting in front of the monitor, in your slave-to-the-machine position anxiously awaiting the arrival of the so long overdue GUI login, it don't mean a thing
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by selectiveduplicate View Post
                            $ systemd-analyze
                            Startup finished in 2.706s (kernel) + 3.162s (userspace) = 5.868s
                            graphical.target reached after 2.528s in userspace

IF I wanted to move the activation of the man-db.service to a later time, after my desktop appears, I could probably shave a half second off of that. I did that with 18.04 and had a time of 5.1 seconds. I used to get around 1 min - 30 sections. Fooling with the service scripts to rearrange the time of activation for various services got me down to around 30 seconds. However, the LARGEST drop in boot up time came when I replaced my spinners with SSDs.

However, all these times ignore the time the POST takes, unless the user has turned off the POST in the BIOS. The lowest time I've seen is 2.1 seconds, by Oshunluver, IIRC.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 22, 2020, 12:14 PM.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I did the apt-daily.service thing a while back. It saved a little time, but nothing to have a parade about. And besides, some of those services fixes simply result in delayed execution. Nothing actually saved. Now the network management fix may be worth something, but if the focus is just the boot time drag race - it's DQ'd.

The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Well... this sucks... I didn't face this much boot time while I's using Ubuntu MATE...

Code:
                                9.134s fwupd-refresh.service                                                                    
                                8.890s snapd.service                                                                            
                                8.566s networkd-dispatcher.service                                                              
                                6.623s udisks2.service                                                                          
                                5.964s dev-sda6.device                                                                          
                                5.944s accounts-daemon.service                                                                  
                                4.952s NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                                       
                                4.138s polkit.service                                                                           
                                3.807s ModemManager.service                                                                     
                                3.635s NetworkManager.service                                                                   
                                3.496s avahi-daemon.service                                                                     
                                3.250s gpu-manager.service                                                                      
                                3.077s thermald.service                                                                         
                                3.073s wpa_supplicant.service                                                                   
                                3.071s systemd-logind.service                                                                   
                                2.515s grub-initrd-fallback.service                                                             
                                2.400s grub-common.service                                                                      
                                2.395s ufw.service                                                                              
                                2.088s systemd-journal-flush.service                                                            
                                1.997s dev-loop1.device                                                                         
                                1.974s dev-loop0.device                                                                         
                                1.814s apport.service                                                                           
                                1.747s systemd-resolved.service                                                                 
                                1.504s e2scrub_reap.service                                                                     
                                1.388s rsyslog.service                                                                          
                                1.225s systemd-udevd.service
                                Last edited by selectiveduplicate; May 22, 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X