This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Screen Tearing on Prime is back

Unfortunately the dreaded NVidia Screen Tearing is back in 20.04, and the previous fix no longer works.
    The previous fix (that worked for me) was to add "options nvidia-drm modeset=1" to /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-drm-nomodeset.conf

In NVIDIA X Server Settings, Synchronisation is now off for my displays, with no option to turn it back on.

Any suggestions?

Have you already gone to System Settings > Display & Monitor > Compositor - and selected a "Tearing prevention (vsync)" option? I have mine set to "Full screen repaints."

Also, which Nvidia driver are you running? If you open NVIDIA X Server Settings, go to "X Screen 0" (the number might not be zero) > OpenGL Settings - there should be a checkbox for Sync to VBlank.

The combination of those two things should do the trick.
    Last edited by bradleypariah; Apr 26, 2020, 12:22 PM.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
      Have you already gone to System Settings > Display & Monitor > Compositor - and selected a "Tearing prevention (vsync)" option? I have mine set to "Full screen repaints."

Also, which Nvidia driver are you running? If you open NVIDIA X Server Settings, go to "X Screen 0" (the number might not be zero) > OpenGL Settings - there should be a checkbox for Sync to VBlank.

The combination of those two things should do the trick.
      I tried all of that, but unfortunately nothing fixes the issue (using the 390 driver).
      I have since found a thread on an Arch forum, where many users are reporting that this issue is back again since the 5.4 kernel:
      https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=251032

I also tried KDE Neon today (which uses 5.3) and there is no tearing when using the Nvidia driver.

Comment

Originally posted by glitterball View Post
        I tried all of that, but unfortunately nothing fixes the issue (using the 390 driver).
        I have since found a thread on an Arch forum, where many users are reporting that this issue is back again since the 5.4 kernel:
        https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=251032

I also tried KDE Neon today (which uses 5.3) and there is no tearing when using the Nvidia driver.
        What driver comes with Neon? -and what's your hardware? I'm running the 440 driver on 20.04. I have a gtx680.
        Is your hardware old? -is that why you're running an older driver?
        Have you tried going to System Settings > Driver Manager to get updated?
        Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
        Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

What driver comes with Neon? -and what's your hardware? I'm running the 440 driver on 20.04. I have a gtx680.
          Is your hardware old? -is that why you're running an older driver?
          Have you tried going to System Settings > Driver Manager to get updated?
          Same driver with Neon (390) - the hardware is a GeForce GT 635M.
          I tried updating to 440, but couldn't get a working desktop with that (ended up starting again after that).

Driver Manager doesn't offer the option of updating to 440 (for good reason it seems).

Comment

Are any other drivers in the Driver Manager available? I'm not sure if you've given up at this point, but if you haven't, I would try switching to a different driver.

If that didn't work, and I was in your shoes, I'd probably stay on 19.10 (or Neon) until 20.04.1 comes out, then check back to see if they got it sorted.

Comment

Are any other drivers in the Driver Manager available? I'm not sure if you've given up at this point, but if you haven't, I would try switching to a different driver.

If that didn't work, and I was in your shoes, I'd probably stay on 19.10 (or Neon) until 20.04.1 comes out, then check back to see if they got it sorted.
              The only other version was the older 340 version (I think), which has terrible screen tearing.

Yeah, I'll wait - I always try a test install on a removable disk before installing new versions nowadays to avoid these issues.
              I think that there's an issue with the Linux 5.4 kernel as others on that Arch forum have said.

Comment

I encountered this on upgrade to 20.04 with the latest 440 driver. After several attempts to mitigate the issue using various settings, including full screen refreshes, I installed the Ubuntu kernel team's 5.6 kernel. It was easy and now the video works perfectly.

Late edit 5/14/2020: The newer 5.6.11 kernel worked better, but did not fix the issue. I ended up going to the open source Nouveau driver for now. No video issues with the Nouveau.
                Last edited by Tanker Bob; May 14, 2020, 07:53 AM. Reason: Updated for further results
                ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by glitterball View Post
                  The only other version was the older 340 version (I think), which has terrible screen tearing.

Yeah, I'll wait - I always try a test install on a removable disk before installing new versions nowadays to avoid these issues.
                  I think that there's an issue with the Linux 5.4 kernel as others on that Arch forum have said.
                  Which kernel did you use? Was it the oem one in the repositories?
                  Either way, the 390 driver is still the recommended one for my hardware.

Comment

This issue (screen tearing) was resolved by some recent updates and Nvidia synchronization is now working again.

There are quite a few bugs still though with display configuration preferences being lost quite frequently.
                    If this happens (and you have no panel), run the following from the terminal:
                    kcmshell5 kcm_kscreen

Comment

Working...
                    X