X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Amarok ever be back

Hello

Will Amarok ever come back.

I cant find where it was explain. The reason for it not in latest release.

The only thing I miss from Windows is ITUNES for organizing my music

Mark

Banshee seems to be missing too. What is everyone using for playing shuffled music out of a list now days? Is there perhaps something web based where you can run your own server and have it run in a web browser? One thing less to setup when doing a new install.

Comment

that is a good question .

but hears a nice player for your collection ,,,,,,,,

https://www.strawberrymusicplayer.org/

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've been using Cantata for quite a while. It works great.

Comment

Thanks for that Vinny. I hadn't heard of that one yet. I've been using Elisa but find it lacking.

Please Read Me

Comment

Amarok is still KDE 4, ie reallyyyy olddd.
            Most distros have removed all KDE 4 related software and support, possibly even Debian, that is how old it is.
            There is a plasma 5 version in the works, but development seems glacial at best.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Thanks for that Vinny. I hadn't heard of that one yet. I've been using Elisa but find it lacking.
              your welcome , works well hear ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Strawberry is a music player and music collection organizer. It is a fork of Clementine released in 2018 aimed at music collectors and audiophiles. It's written in C++ using the Qt 5 toolkit.
              VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Strawberry is a music player and music collection organizer. It is a fork of Clementine released in 2018 aimed at music collectors and audiophiles. It's written in C++ using the Qt 5 toolkit.
                A fork (Strawberry) of a fork (Clementine) of a KDE 3 program (Amarok before KDE4), pretty much says something about Amarok in its heyday (pre-2009-ish) Featureful & Fugly

I keep forgetting to install a music player, my phone has a better sound system (using headphones) than any stereo I have ever had, I'll wager. My V60 still has a headphone jack, and a decent DAC, as LG's V series phones are known for. The speakers may be louder than my cheapo PC speakers, and probably my basic TV sound bar.

Phones are likely why there is nothing new in music player software, considering Strawberry's roots, stems, and trunk go back a dozen or more years.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Phones are likely why there is nothing new in music player software, considering Strawberry's roots, stems, and trunk go back a dozen or more years.
                  well , no smart phones @hear , so my media players are welcome

my faves .

simple music colection player (no video , but will play video soundtrack) = strawberry

full featured audio +video+youtube browser = QMplay2

full featured audio +video = VLC

@hear anything playing on the TV as a TV or as a second monitor will will feed into the AVR surround sound system , 975W of 7.1 channel crystal clear ear splitting goodness

I like my players

that said it usually winds up being youtube or amazon prime music through firefox

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I think Elisa is nice and modern, but it's missing way too much functionality, and it can't find a lot of my files, despite them being supported formats.

I use Clementine. It can edit id3 tags, insert images for albums, create playlists, stream services like Spotify/Icecast/Last.fm, play music from your Google Drive/Dropbox, choose custom library locations, etc.
                    It's got an EQ, Starship Enterprise background noise, and lots of appearance tweaks.
                    It's not the prettiest application, but it's more powerful than Amarok ever was.
                    The only thing I think it's missing is a visualizer, but that's what Kodi is for.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    A fork (Strawberry) of a fork (Clementine) of a KDE 3 program (Amarok before KDE4),
                    Oh! I didn't know that. I'll check out Strawberry.
                    Last edited by bradleypariah; Apr 26, 2020, 09:28 AM.
                    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
                    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

You can get version 20.04.0 of Elisa by using the Kubuntu backports:
                      https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...s_filter=focal

The development speed concerning new features seems to be very slow, but it is happening apparently! :-)

Otherwise I am giving the Strawberry music player a try…
                      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2020, 10:35 AM. Reason: typos
                      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

It was already missing from 19.04. Tried different alternatives after some investigation (Quod Libet, Clementine and Sayonara) but gave up and stuck with Cantata as my library player. It's light weight and good enough. A bit weird to have (basically) an MPD client as the default player but Cantata does a good job at making the MPD setup really easy. Still thinks that Amarok handled some things better in displaying the library but just decided to adept the tagging to fit Cantata better. So my conclusion: learn to love Cantata

Comment

What about qmmp? You might like it if you ever used Winamp... They say it supports Winamp's skins. It's latest release, version 1.4, was last month, but Canonical offers version 1.3.1 instead.

Here's the corresponding ppa that will let you get the latest version of qmmp

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:forkotov02/ppa
                          sudo apt-get install qmmp qmmp-plugin-pack
                          Last edited by kyonides; May 22, 2020, 01:42 AM.
                          Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
                          Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                          Win 10 sadly
                          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
                          X