This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] New installation - locks over every nignt

Long story short wanted to get a new GPU (AMD Radeon 580) to work but the motherboard I had has lot of trouble with add on GPUs so I just swapped my whole system out for what was once my mining rig. AMD Ryzen AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core with a Asus Prime B350-plus motherboard. Was on Mint 18 and was due for an upgrade anyway so decided to try latest version of Kubuntu 20.04. I did not know at the time it was beta though... so I'm hoping this is just a bug and not something wrong with my hardware...

So yeah, basically, when I go to bed and come back the next day, system will be fully locked up and I have to do a reset. Is there anything further I can do to troubleshoot this? The first time I thought it was power settings, so I turned all that stuff off so nothing turns off. But it did it again this morning.

Is this happening to anyone else or anyone know what else I could do to troubleshoot it further? When it locks up the GUI is still visible so I could leave consoles up with stuff that updates. I have dmesg and top right now. Also if it matters, I have 2 4k monitors plugged via HDMI.

So nothing in dmesg and nothing that caught my eye in top. Happened early morning actually around 9:20ish. That's where the clock stopped.

But so far it's a nightly thing. It's like if it stays idle too long it just locks up.

Comment

Still happening every night. I'm on night shifts right now so I SSHed in from work to see if it affects network access when it happens, and it does. Connection dropped. So it's really the whole system locking up and not just X. I tried updating the bios too, no luck. Anything else I can try?

Comment

Does it happen at a specific time (from the boot up)? I.e., always at x hours and y minutes

Did you turn off the "Screen brightness", "Dim screen" and "Screen Energy Saving" check boxes on the Systemsettings --> Power Management --> Energy Savings right panel?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hard to tell how consistent the time is, but that will be the next thing I start to track. I know it's not the same clock time but I am thinking it might be the same elapsed time after I stop using it so it feels like an inactivity thing to me. SSHing into it or doing anything remotely does not seem to count as activity as it locked up on me at some point after I SSHed in from work.

I have all the power stuff like standby and screen dim turned off and when it locks up I can see the GUI but it will be frozen including the cursor. But I forgot about the C state stuff in BIOS so turned that off too, will see by tomorrow if that helps. Saw it mention on another forum with someone having similar issues with a Linux system. I'm on night shift and so far it's still up, but I did open a couple applications via X11 such as xclock just to have something GUI related to monitor with, so not sure if those interactions reset the "timer" if there is one. Leaving it alone now and will report back if it locks up again. I'm hoping the C state setting in BIOS did the trick though.

Comment

You might try xset in a console:
            xset -dpms s noblank off

-dpms turns off the energy star savings
            s controls the screen save, setting it to noblank then off.

Check the xset manpage for full info. I had to use this for a previous laptop.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks will try that if I still get issues. Seems the C state thing may have fixed it. No hard locks yet. Will give it a few days before I call it though but pretty sure it would have locked up by now.

Comment

So yeah this definitely seems gone now.

In case anyone gets this, go in bios and look for something that says "C States" and make sure it's disabled. I think it's some kind of power save thing at the hardware level, and guess it messes up the OS. I also have all the power save stuff disabled within the OS, not sure whether or not re-enabling that would make the problem come back. Not going to touch it since it works now.

Comment

Working...
                X