This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver issue during booting

I want to install Kubuntu 20.04 on my Dell laptop. I want to use my desktop PC to prepare a bootable DVD containing Kubuntu 20.04. I’ll buy an external DVD drive, and use it to install the new OS. The issue of a driver for the external DVD drive arises, and I see something I don’t understand. The boot sequence consists of these steps:

Step 1: Power on
    Step 2: POST
    Step 3: Load BIOS
    Step 4: Load OS
    Step 5: Transfer of control to the operating system (OS)

I’ll go into the laptop’s BIOS and set it so that it looks to a CD as its first boot choice. Dell’s on-line support says, “Drivers for your CD, DVD or Blu-Ray drive is [sic] included within the Operating System and hence does not require you to install a specific driver.” The problem I see is: BIOS will tell the computer to read from the CD before the OS is loaded. If the CD drive’s driver is in the OS, then how can the computer read from the CD before the OS containing the driver is loaded?

The drivers are for burning mostly. Reading a disk is a lower level function built into the computer's hardware, like using a keyboard, or reading a USB drive, - which IMO is a much better and far more reliable tool for installing Linux, if your computer supports it. Most systems do, even if they are older.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      The drivers are for burning mostly. Reading a disk is a lower level function built into the computer's hardware, like using a keyboard, or reading a USB drive, - which IMO is a much better and far more reliable tool for installing Linux, if your computer supports it. Most systems do, even if they are older.
      Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, my laptop will not boot from a USB drive, which I prefer to a DVD drive.

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
        Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, my laptop will not boot from a USB drive, which I prefer to a DVD drive.
        If it does not boot via a USB thumb drive there is a chance it won't boot from the USB optical drive as well.

If it is that old a system it might well be 32bits. Ubuntu no longer provide 32 bit isos in their current releases

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X