This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No 20.04 Update Found

I'm on 19.10. Discover hasn't offered an update to 20.04. I tried both the U.S. server and the Main server. I have run the appropriate terminal sequence to obtain the update, but I keep getting the message that "no new release found." I don't want to use the -d switch to get a development version. Is there an issue with the Kubuntu 20.04 release update or am I missing something? Thanks!
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 26, 2020, 07:37 AM.
    ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

As far as I remember, the upgrades are usually ready after the release of the next point update, that is 20.04.1 which I believe will be ready in July.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      As far as I remember, the upgrades are usually ready after the release of the next point update, that is 20.04.1 which I believe will be ready in July.
      That is only relevant for LTS to LTS upgrades.

It can take a few days for the upgrades to be switched on. And 18.04 users can still upgrade early when it isavailable.

linked to from the release announcement;
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu
      Last edited by claydoh; Apr 24, 2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        That is only relevant for LTS to LTS upgrades.

It can take a few days for the upgrades to be switched on

linked to from the release announcement;
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu
        Thank you. That's the page I've been using for the manual upgrade process. Deferred gratification is the insidious crippler of youth, but I will try to be patient.
        ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

You don't have to wait, you can use "-d":
          Code:
          $ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
          Originally posted by man do-release-upgrade
          -d, --devel-release
          If using the latest supported release, upgrade to the development release
          Typing this on 20.04, release upgraded from 19.10 this evening (er, around 0600 UTC). Awful slow, took hours, after a few minutes of downloads. I have a shed load of packages installed.

The only glitch so far is that apps run from the command line give messages en français; I've no idea why

[Edit] It's worse than that, GTK apps display garbled text, as if the encoding is wrong. I've started another thread for this problem.
          Last edited by jlittle; Apr 25, 2020, 03:58 AM.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

What happen if I used sudo do-release-upgrade -d desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by slamelov View Post
              What happen if I used sudo do-release-upgrade -d desktop?
              "desktop" is the argument to -m, do you mean sudo do-release-upgrade -d -m desktop ?

Groovy Gorilla hasn't been set up yet, so if I understand correctly, you get to Focal Fossa, 20.04. I did, see above.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

I marked the thread unsolved since it's been 3 days but still no upgrade available. I'm loathe to use -d because it generally hasn't worked out well for others. Any idea on how long until the update becomes available? I don't recall any delays this long in the past.

Comment

using -d has been the way to start it 'early' since forever. I recall it taking quite a few days before, but not which release. I have normally used -d when it has not been available over the years.

Comment

using -d has been the way to start it 'early' since forever. I recall it taking quite a few days before, but not which release. I have normally used -d when it has not been available over the years.
                    Thank you for your reply. I have used the -d a few times over the years as well. Deferred gratification is definitely eating at me. :-)

Comment

I'm still not getting new release showing up for the upgrade. Any idea when it's going to be available or what to do to try to force it if it is already? I'm using this command and it keeps saying 'No new release found'. I'm using Kubuntu 19.10 right now.

Code:
                      [FONT=monospace]sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop
                      [/FONT]

Comment

did you try using sudo do-release-upgrade -d instead of -m?

Comment

And away we go! Thanks, claydoh! The upgrade is starting.

I was going to ask why don't you guys fix this on the ubu... oh, nevermind.

Comment

From the do-release-upgrade man page:

-d, --devel-release
                            If using the latest supported release, upgrade to the development release

Comment

And away we go! Thanks, claydoh! The upgrade is starting.

I was going to ask why don't you guys fix this on the ubu... oh, nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                              X