• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    From the do-release-upgrade man page:

-d, --devel-release
    If using the latest supported release, upgrade to the development release
    Thanks, Don. I saw mention of it here but also concerns about it previously having gone badly. The Ubuntu page doesn't mention this (i.e. says to use the -m option, not -d) and I didn't think upgrading to development releases were a good idea when there is supposed to be a normal upgrade. Still makes me nervous but everything is backed up, so the worse that happens is that I just do a fresh re-install.

I was going to say good morning, but I see it's lunchtime there! Enjoy your lunch then. Are you forced home by the pandemic?

Comment

I guess the idea is, you can upgrade when the next "point release" (like 20.04.1) is out, but if you're in a hurry, use -d.

Off the record topic, it's almost lunchtime, Spain is one hour behind its real timezone in "winter", two in summer (like, we have the same timezone as Poland :·/. So we eat "late" :·)

And yes, we are forced home. Spain had the most deaths per million in the world (520) after Belgium (discounting statistically insignificant places like San Marino...)
      Still, 500 dpm is like 0.05 deaths per cent (100)... mostly people with dubious life expectancy to start with... but we can't deal with the idea that people die anyway... therefore what my son called the "ethical ****storm"...
      And there does not seem to be (however counter-intuitive) a correlation between confinement and contagion... and... oh well. We'll see won't we :·/
      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Apr 30, 2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Still no upgrade offered today, so I finally used the -d and upgraded this morning. Other than uninstalling Virtual Box, everything went smoothly. I simple reinstalled Virtual Box after the reboot and all is fine.
        ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I might go for the command too (similar situation, on 19.10 currently). I know it can take a few days until the notification arrives but I didn't receive the upgrade message for 19.04 -> 19.10 either (had checked the right boxes in software sources). I start to doubt if the upgrade notification works at all, maybe only for LTS -> LTS?

Comment

Originally posted by Euroman View Post
            I might go for the command too (similar situation, on 19.10 currently). I know it can take a few days until the notification arrives but I didn't receive the upgrade message for 19.04 -> 19.10 either (had checked the right boxes in software sources). I start to doubt if the upgrade notification works at all, maybe only for LTS -> LTS?
            I had the same issue with no notification from 19.04 to 19.10, but was able to force the issue with do-release-upgrade. This time I had to use -d. Upgrade notice/availability doesn't seem to be getting better. OTOH, the upgrade went smoothly when forced.
            ROG STRIX Z370-E Motherboard, Intel i7 8700K (6 core/12 threads) 3.7 GHz overclocked to 5 GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz, Intel 2 TB SSD, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

"From 19.10, there may a delay of a few hrs to days between the official release announcements and the Ubuntu Release Team enabling upgrades. From 18.04, upgrades will not be enabled until approximately the date of the 1st 20.04 point release at the end of July."
              It's been over a week since 20.04 came out. Either they don't know the definition of a few days or they ran into unexpected problems. Just to be clear over a week is greater than a few days.
              Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I 'accidentally' upgraded after running do-release-upgrade (without the -d option) in the terminal. Just to check if there was a new version. To my surprise it reported a new version and immediately started the process.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                  As far as I remember, the upgrades are usually ready after the release of the next point update, that is 20.04.1 which I believe will be ready in July.
                  That means 19.10 might not find that upgrade until July. I remember that was my case as well when I was testing 17.10 long time ago.
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
                  Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Upgraded Kubuntu 19.10 to 20.04 yesterday (so it was found):
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post437081

If you want to upgrade 18.04.4 to 20.04 you still have to use the "-d" option:
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post437088
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                      That means 19.10 might not find that upgrade until July.

That would make the upgrade available very close to the end of the life of 19.10, which is in July; the release schedule just says "July 2020". That can't be right.

The release date of 18.04.1 was 2018-07-26, and the 17.10 end of life was 2018-07-19, a week before.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        Upgraded Kubuntu 19.10 to 20.04 yesterday (so it was found):
                        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post437081

If you want to upgrade 18.04.4 to 20.04 you still have to use the "-d" option:
                        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post437088
                        So this thread should be solved, there are paths from 19.10 and 18.04.
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

The upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04 has now been activated. They were just a little late activating it for some reason. I am talking about the normal upgrade not the -d version.
                          Last edited by steve7233; May 21, 2020, 08:04 AM.
                          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                            So this thread should be solved, there are paths from 19.10 and 18.04.
                            I think you are incorrect with this post as your just talking about the last development version which is not considered a full release version, therefore it should not have been marked solved.

Comment

Actually it should, as 20.04, is not a development release, despite some instruction to use the -d switch to force the upgrade. 20.04 stopped being a development release on the day it was officially released, and using the '-d' switch does NOT move someone to anything other then the next available release. it does not and can not move 18.04 and 19.10 users to 20.10, the current in-development release.

The 'pre-installation' sub-topic may not be the best one for this, but ...eh

Comment

Working...
                              X