This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready To Go

I downloaded Kubuntu 20.04 LTS last night, checked the sha256 sum, and burned the ISO to an 8GB USB drive. I've made a few notes about my current 18.04.4 LTS, pulled the new SSDs out of the drawer, and am ready to backup /home and start the next chapter.

Well, there is this little thing called work and life, so it won't be today. Nonetheless, looking forward to it. Been following the progress noted by many as Fossa went through its alpha and beta stages, and it looks like this will be a good version from day one. In the past I've waited for the first point release in July, but this one looks like it won't disappoint. Thanks to the devs, testers, and the good folks here on Kubuntu
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

I was looking to do an in place upgrade, but it seems that won't be available until 20.04.1. So if you want 20.04 now you have to use the ISO and wipe.

Comment

You should be able to manually start the upgrade process soon, I'd guess by the end of the week though I really have no idea

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by jwrober View Post
        I was looking to do an in place upgrade, but it seems that won't be available until 20.04.1. So if you want 20.04 now you have to use the ISO and wipe.
        With the hardware replacement, and being a victim of my own habits, I just do a clean install on LTS. That and LTS is all I do
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I have to say, Focal is looking good. Because I was upgrading the HDD to an SSD and swapping an overly large SSD with one half the size, I just did a clean, minimal install. The / partition and SWAP are on the smaller (120 GB) SSD. The /home partition is on the 500 GB SSD. I was going to forgo a SWAP partition, but with enough real estate - what the heck!

So I backed up /home from the HDD, did the install, and restored the backup data to /home on the new drive. Then it was time to reinstall my fave apps, and the configs in /home just lined up like nothing happened. I've done a cursory on the applications, and so far so good. The HP printer just dropped right back in - wireless and all.

There may be some tweaks that will need to be made; not totally happy with the theme, but that's very minor.

Great job!

Comment

I have to say, Focal is looking good. Because I was upgrading the HDD to an SSD and swapping an overly large SSD with one half the size, I just did a clean, minimal install. The / partition and SWAP are on the smaller (120 GB) SSD. The /home partition is on the 500 GB SSD. I was going to forgo a SWAP partition, but with enough real estate - what the heck!

So I backed up /home from the HDD, did the install, and restored the backup data to /home on the new drive. Then it was time to reinstall my fave apps, and the configs in /home just lined up like nothing happened. I've done a cursory on the applications, and so far so good. The HP printer just dropped right back in - wireless and all.

There may be some tweaks that will need to be made; not totally happy with the theme, but that's very minor.

Great job!

Comment

Working...
            X