This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Graphics] kubuntu and zbrush with wine

I have Kubuntu 19.10 installed on my husbands laptop. It is a fresh install. We added wine and winetricks. We installed Ultimaker Cura 4.5 from the appimage. It installed and opened but it is not in the installed applications file. Also I can't find the installed program file. This also happened when we installed Zbrush 2020.1 through Wine. Both installed and opened but once closed we are unable to find the program file. I am not able to open either file again. Zbrush is not in the Wine file either.

If I click on the .exe file it makes me install again.

Still pretty new to linux so still learning.

An appimage is not 'installed', you just double click the file you downloaded to run it from where the file is, so there won't be a menu entry at all. You can move the file to your Desktop so it is easier to find, or anywhere you want.

With Wine, things can sometimes be tricky, it does not always create a menu entry, though you can use the search function in the K-menu for it, if you have not already tried it. There also may be a Wine sub-menu in the menu somewhere as well. This is often where the things installed with Wine live.

otherwise, Wine keeps things in a hidden folder in your home dir

/home/<your-username-here>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ and look for zbrush's exe file

Note the '.' in the path. this denotes a hidden file or folder, which you can enable viewing in Dolphin's settings.

hopefully someone can chime in and add useful info, I have not run Wine itself in quite some time so my knowledge is rusty and crusty

Comment

I checked in the wine c drive file. It is not in there either. It is like it installed but the install did not save.

Comment

As claydoh said, "An appimage is not 'installed', ...

See https://itsfoss.com/use-appimage-linux/
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried to install it again and I am told it is already installed. I can't find it anaywhere. It is so weird. I have never seen this before.

Comment

The appimage thing is fine. I can use this program that way but this thing with zbrush and wine is the biggest issue.

Comment

Welcome to Linux and Kubuntu!

I have these wine packages installed:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	windprogramsinstalled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	644652

In my KMenu is a "Wine" entry. When I click on it a second level entry, "Programs", appears.
              When I click on that I get the Icon of my wife's EKG analysis program and beneath it is an "Space Engine" entry. When I click on that I get the SpaceEngine-0.98 executable and it's uninstall program.

From in a Konsole here is what my file structure looks like starting at my home:
              Code:
              jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$ cd .wine
              jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~/.wine$ vdir
              total 2596
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry     322 Apr 17 23:08 dosdevices
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry     164 Mar 24 16:54 drive_c
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry 2556724 Apr 17 23:09 system.reg
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry    3254 Jan  5 18:05 userdef.reg
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry   93228 Apr 17 23:09 user.reg

jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~/.wine$ cd drive_c/
              jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~/.wine/drive_c$ vdir
              total 0
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 228 Apr 17 23:08 ECG\ Data\ Manager
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry  18 Mar 24 17:15 ProgramData
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 118 Jan  5 18:04 Program\ Files
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 194 Mar 24 17:15 Program\ Files\ (x86)
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry  62 Jan  5 18:06 SpaceEngine
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry  22 Jan  5 18:04 users
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 374 Jan  5 18:04 windows
              jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~/.wine/drive_c$ vdir SpaceEngine/
              total 0
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry   0 Jan  5 18:05 addons
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry  48 Jan  5 18:24 cache
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 862 Jan  5 18:09 config
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 106 Jan  5 18:05 data
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 526 Jan  5 18:06 docs
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 318 Jan  5 18:06 system
              jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~/.wine/drive_c$ vdir ECG\ Data\ Manager/
              total 6360
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry 1024000 Jul  4  2008 cl32.dll
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry    1306 Dec  5  2018 cmd1.txt
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry      60 Jan 26  2019 devBk.ini
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry      77 Dec  5  2018 DownInfo.ini
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry      16 Sep 23  2019 download_files
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry      20 Dec  4  2018 ECGData
              -rwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry 4238848 Apr 20  2017 ECGDM.exe
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry     350 Dec  5  2018 lan
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry      38 Sep 23  2019 PIC
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry       0 Apr 17 23:08 Temp
              -rwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry  616448 Apr 12  2017 TestECGVM_B.exe
              -rwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry  616448 Apr 12  2017 TestECGVM_B_t.exe
              drwxrwxr-x 1 jerry jerry       0 Apr 17 23:08 Tmpda
              jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~/.wine/drive_c$
              If I click on an exe Wine sees it and immediately fires its Wine installation for that exe.

WINE claims it is not a Windows emulator, and that it true. To truely emulate Windows it would have to emulate Windows bugs and programming misadventures. Unsurprisingly, some Windows programs won't install under WINE.

Here is a WINE application database that ranks how well Windows programs run under WINE.
              https://www.winehq.org/

WINE is constantly being upgraded and as such is constantly changing. Once I got the Windows programs running that I needed I put a hold on the two critical wine packages to prevent their being updated and breaking things.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 21, 2020, 04:46 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Let me add a short note about finding files in Kubuntu (or Linux in general regardless of the distribution, i.e., "distro").

The Plasma desktop has a file manager called "Dolphin". Under its "Edit" menu option is the "Search" option. There is a file indexing program called Baloo which is run in the background periodically to keep its database updated. Sometimes, following a massive update, Baloo slows down the desktop until it finishes its indexing of all the files and directories.

It's OK, but I never use it because I use "locate", which is much faster. You can enter "man locate" to learn about it. "Man" is short for manual.

The locate command has an associated application called "updatedb", which is usually run with the sudo command in a Konsole:
                sudo updatedb

It's purpose is to update the database which locate searches. There is an older system in Linux called "cron". It contains a way to run system and users tasks periodically: hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. There is a cron task in /etc/cron.daily/ called "mlocate". It contains the code to update the "mlocate" database.

But, all that is just background. All you need to know what to use to find "Zbrush" is
                1) Open a Konsole and issue
                sudo updatedb

2) then issue
                locate Zbrush

(or locate zbrush, if the spelling is all lower case.) Linux's files are context sensitive. Zbrush is not the same as zbrush.

https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-locate-command/

The Konsole is also the place to do manual updates of all application packages:
                sudo apt update
                sudo apt full-upgrade

You'll be asked for your password, and be given the opportunity to answer {Y/n] to the "proceed" question. Just pressing the Enter key accepts the default answer, which is specified by the upper case letter. In this case, Y (meaning yes).
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 21, 2020, 05:37 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

To add slightly to what GG said about searching, if you use locate in a konsole, you can add the -i option for case-insensitive searching. So this:

locate -i zbrush

would find both "zbrush" and "Zbrush".

Please Read Me

Comment

Greygeek,

I ran
                    sudo updatedb

then
                    locate zbrush

All we were able to locate is an xml file and the exe file on the desktop. It can not find the program files.

We used dolphin to search the wine file and when we go to
                    home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

It is not there either.

Before we installed zbrush, we went to the wine appdb and loaded the dll files and such that are suggested.

Comment

I just tried the

locate -i zbrush

All the same results. I am ready to fresh copy again and start over. I don't know what to do anymore.

Comment

If you mean "start over" by reinstalling Kubuntu, it is not necessary. You didn't say, or I didn't notice, if the Zbrush installation created an icon in KMenu. Did it? Regardless, your can re-run the zbrush installation exe by clicking (or double clicking, depending on how you set up Kubuntu).

Comment

I did mean reinstall kunbuntu. This is so frustrating. An icon was not made anywhere. We tried to reinstall but zbrush says it is already installed and it says that it could cause conflicts. It is not in the wine file or anywhere else. I don't know what to do.

Comment

A young padawan occasionally has difficulty! Just remember, you weren't born knowing how to use Windows, and Rome wasn't built over night. So don't give up!

It is extremely rare for a problem to require a reinstall of Kubuntu, or any distro in general. It was also rarely the case that a user had to log out and log back in to resolve issues or complete installation of a package. However, the exception to the rule is if a new Linux kernel or systemd is installed. Your system will continue to run without rebooting, but if you want to enjoy the new kernel or systemd then, you will have to reboot.

In a post above I copied an image of the WINE related packages I have installed. Check your installation (use muon or synaptic - if you don't have muon then "sudo apt install muon") to make sure you have all of them installed. Kubuntu defaults to a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. When using winetricks to install a 32 bit EXE (IF Zbrush is a 32 bit exe) you will have to select the winetricks option "Select PREFIX32". A prefix is called a wine bottle. To avoid messing up an exe install of different Windows programs a separate prefix is created for each one (either 32 or 64 bit) and each exe is installed in its own prefix (wine bottle). That way, any time you need to add or change a dll for a particular exe that modification won't affect other exe installations.

Chris TItus, who is a 20 year veteran Windows IT shop admin and manager switched to Linux about a year ago and made four videos on using WINE in Linux. Give them a view before you give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOdA5GeSqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI09QLkqZiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5PKkhl6vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKZfqmjUyBc

Another solution to the problem is to locate a Linux app that does essentially the same thing as Zbrush and switch to it. And example of a 3D sculpting program is Blender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG1IEpU5VAw

Blender is Open Source, free, and well documented.

There are other alternatives to Zbrush in Linux, besides Blender:

https://alternativeto.net/software/z...platform=linux
                            Some are free and open source, and some are not.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 23, 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Walk5 - one thing to keep in mind is most of us don't use Windows programs at all and probably have never heard of ZBrush - I know I had to look it up. Frankly you might be better off looking for advice more specific to your task. For example WineHQ : https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=1152

An internet or reddit search looking for other who have attempted to run ZBrush using Wine might be helpful.

Another thing to consider is this may be a perfect example where using a Virtual Machine is a better choice than trying to force a non-native program to run on an alien OS.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X