This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walk5 View Post
    I did mean reinstall kunbuntu. This is so frustrating. An icon was not made anywhere. We tried to reinstall but zbrush says it is already installed and it says that it could cause conflicts. It is not in the wine file or anywhere else. I don't know what to do.
    Also not sure what you mean by "wine file".

If the program did in fact install to a default location, it would be in ~/.wine/drive_c/ and then Program Files or Program Files (x86) or somewhere like that. The wine folder is hidden which might explain why you can't find it with mlocate.

Please Read Me

Comment

I did mean drive_c Program Files and the Program File(x86) It was not in either. But when I chick on the exe or try to install via the terminal it says it is already installed.

I am switching to more Linux based programs. I want to get away from everything windows. The issue is husband makes a living using ZBrush. Bkender is an option but it is no where near what he needs for his work. We have switched pretty much everything but ZBrush.

Comment

Awesome to get away from Windows, You won't regret it.

Seriously consider a VM for Windows so he can run ZBrush until he can find and gets used to an alternate. It's even allowed in the MS license to use a VM that's registered. That's what I do.. I service a Windows product and my company uses MS Orifice so I have a Win10 VM to do all that. Works like a champ.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oshunluver, does your WIn10 VM allow graphical programs like Blender or ZBrush to run at the necessary resolution?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have tried everything. I install ZBrush and it says it is installed but it is not anywhere. I try to install it again and the software says it is already installed. I do not know what to do.

I am complete frustrated. I had this working before. How can it work once and not again. It just does not make sense.

Comment

I have tried everything. I install ZBrush and it says it is installed but it is not anywhere. I try to install it again and the software says it is already installed. I do not know what to do.

I am complete frustrated. I had this working before. How can it work once and not again. It just does not make sense.
              perhaps you could describe the full process you are using to install Zbrush, including any tools you may be using to install it - Crossover, or Lutris or anything. Links to any tutorial or how-to you might be using.

take screenshots if you can

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Oshunluver, does your WIn10 VM allow graphical programs like Blender or ZBrush to run at the necessary resolution?
                Great question. I could not get Blender to run just now in my Win10 client. It's not a resolution issue, but a video driver issue. Virtual Box video driver does not support OpenGL 3.3 as is required by Blender. I would assume ZBrush will have a similar requirement. You would have t use KVM or another hypervisor that allows pass-through to the video card.

EDIT: Looks like virt-manager can do it if your BIOS/CPU support vt-d/vt-x or AMD-Vi and IOMMU. Real good write-up here but it for Gentoo. Still, looks like most if not all of it applies.
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 25, 2020, 06:38 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Claydoh

Here is the process I used to install ZBrush.

Right after my fresh installation of Kubuntu 19.10, I do the updates that the os says needs to be done. (I tried not doing those first but that did not work either.) Then I install wine. I use tue instructions found here. Then I type

winecfg

That brings up the configure window. It always makes me install the mono and gecko files at this point. Once this is done I type

sudo apt-get install winetricks

Once that is complete, I use the wine appdb corefronts and windows version. Here is the page I use. I get a message when installing the kxvk that says I need to refer to the dxvk build page for updates but it does not say failed so I asume it loads. Then all of the Microsoft vcrun things make me accept them and they load. So far so good. (I think.) Then I use a flashdrive and copy the ZBrush exe file on to my desktop. I right click on the file and go to Properties and click "is executable". Once that is done, I right click again and get an error that states "A fatal error has occured". That is all it says. Then I go to the terminal.

Once there I type

cd Desktop

then

sudo wine filename.exe

Sorry I am not in a place to see the name of the fioe but I copy it exactly. Then walk throught the steps that the install says to do. After that ZBrush opens. I click on some buttons or not (I have tried both), then close the program. I click on the k that is in the bottom left corner then click in applications. Then to graphics and it is not there. It was there the first time I installed it. That was before I messed up and tried to installed the newest zbrush verison. Then I go to Dolphin and click show hidden files. Then .wine /drive_c/Program Files.

It is not there either. I used advice from this forum and others I tried

locate -i zbrush

locate zbrush

locate Zbrush

locate ZBrush

I get the same reults for all of them. It finds a xml file that when clicked gos the the internet and shows some code. Or I get the desktop exe file. I also tried to reinstall thinking it just did not do it right and get get a message that say that zbrush is already install and if I continue it can cause conflicts.

I am sorry I do not have any screenshots. I am not infront of that computer. My husband needed it and is away for work for a couple days and I am walking him through advice on the phone.

I have not tried anything else. Someone suggested Playonlinux but I have not had the chance to do that yet.

Comment

Delete zbrush manually and then reinstall it.
                    First, using Dolphin, navigate to ~./wine and locate user.reg. Edit it with Kate and near the bottom find "[Software\\Wine\\MenuFiles]". Beneath it are any menu entries for zbrush that *should be* showing. IF not then your installation didn't complete. Delete each entry by selecting, starting at "/home..." and ending on the 2nd or 3rd line down, with the .lnk, and right mousing and selecting the delete option.

Then navigate to ~./.wine/drive_c and look for zbrush entries. IF you can't find ~./.wine/drive_c/zbrush then it didn't install or got deleted in the attempt to reinstall. Delete that directory. IF you find any data directories or files related to zbrush then delete them as well.

Now, double click on the zbrush install exe and go through the install.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I looked in the suggested files and found nothing, So I just tried to install it again. I was finally able to get zbrush to install and show up in the wine programs files. Now I want to use playonlinux to open it but I do not know how to find it on that program. Any suggestions?

Comment

If it shows up in the wine program menu you do not need playonlinux to run it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-26_20-00.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	644662
                        You can see the EKG menu entry that I click on to run that program, and the SpaceEngine folder icon which, when I click on it, takes me to the two entries in that folder: one to run the engine and one to uninstall it. Not all exe's supply uninstall menu entries.
                        If your wine menu entry stops at Programs and has no entries beneath it then try to reinstall zbrush using WInetricks.

Comment

I am sorry it has been a little since I last posted. Life gets in the way.

I tried to install zbrush again.

It does not serm like the intsll is finishing. I ho to the tetminal and type

sudo wine filename.exe

Then the terminal starts running. It makes me install the wine gecko a second time. It also reruns the corefronts eg. rcrun2010 and the other windows dll files that I already installed in winetricks. After zbrush starts, the terminal never returns to the add another command line. The green/blue color user name thing. I am starting to think it is not installed. But when I try to reinstall, the zbrush installer says it is already there. This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I had this working before so I know it can work.

Comment

I downloaded zbrush and used Ark to open the PcWonderland.com_Pixologic_Zbrush_2019_x64.zip file.
                            I selected the top directory and then Extract, then extract all files, to the Downloads directory.
                            I browsed with Dolphin to that directory and double clicked on the PcWonderland.com_ZBrush_2019_Installer.exe file. It gave me a dialog: "Do you want to execute this file?". I clicked the "Execute" button. That took me to the Q4Wine dialog window, which automatically continued the installation process.

Name:	wine_cfg_dialog.png
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	644691
                            I didn't have to do anything on or with this dialog. The installation continued automatically and when it got to the end everything closed down when I clicked the "Finished" button.

I clicked a bunch of next buttons for zbrush and for MS C++2008 (IIRC), and then the program opened up and wanted me to validate it. I closed it after that.

Name:	zbrush_Screenshot_20200504_220624.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	644690
                            I have a wacom Bamboo tablet but I didn't want to take it out of storage and plug it in.

The Q4Wine application is my principal install tool.

Here is what is in the KMenu under Wine in order to execute the program:
                            env WINEPREFIX="/home/jerry/.wine" wine-stable C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/jerry/.wine/dosdevices/c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start\ Menu/Programs/Pixologic/ZBrush\ 2019/ZBrush\ 2019.lnk

Name:	kmenu_zbrush.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	644692
                            and it is pointing to:
                            /home/jerry/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Pixologic/ZBrush 2019/zbrush.exe

The second item in the Pixologic menu is the uninstall program. I took a @ and @home snapshot before I started this process in case things broke or didn't clean up properly. The uninstall program removed everything except the Pixologic folder under Program FIles. They contained a couple other folders with some text files in them. I deleted them all manually.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 04, 2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

sudo wine filename.exe
                              There's your problem. Why are you running wine as root? The program is probably installed in the root folder. You should never do this, ever.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9477...sudo-dangerous

Honestly, if that was my computer, I'd wipe the install completely and start over. There's no telling how much damage has been done.

Please Read Me

Comment

greygeek,
                                Thank you for all your help. You have tried harder then anyone to help me find a solution. You are a awesome person.

oshunluvr,
                                You are awesome. That was the problem the whole time. We did a complete fresh install. We followed the same steps as before. This time I did not run as root and everything worked perfectly. All is great again. I have spent 2 months and 4 forums trying to fix this problem. It has been crazy. I added my steps to every forum and nobody was able to give me this answer. You have helped me so much.

I can not tell you how much It is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X