X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Lost files I copied-Moved to network PC

Hi,
    I recently posted a problem with network shares, now I've found a new problem, that has trashed my backups.
    I copied all my backups to a network PC. It took hours as there was a lot of data.
    I encounted errors, don't ask for what it was, as the error was something like unable to (read or write) some file, so long it was 3 times wider than the screen. I pressed skip.
    A couple of weeks later, I went to retrieve my backups, to find, the folders empty. AS IN NO FILES.
    Seriously. What the actual heck happened?
    Files copied, some dumb error, and 200gig of data just what, ended up in the trash, or virtual no-mans land.

Second question.
    With recovery programs, does anyone know how to get it to scan a Veracrypt storage container. NOT the drive the container is on.
    I copied my backup to an external drive, older, as a precaution, and when the data (FILES) were copied to the new drive, I deleted the backup.

Further. There are NO FILES, but all of the folders are present, just empty
    This is what confused me. I checked saw the folders, and sub folders, as it was label "2019EOY"
    I only noticed the no files, a couple of days ago when I went to find a specific file.
    My may question, is how the heck did this happen?
    I've had permission problems in the past, which forbidden me to "write" a file, and was very frustrating, and only affected one drive. They only thing I have done is smb shared, with guests and myself as a user. All other files I have copied, worked, it's only the one ones from a backup (Lucky Backup), that stuffed up.
    Thanks
    And Apologies if I am typing pi33ed off, as I am.

Comment

Okay. I tried this again today, just now, and I received the following error
      Code:
      Changing attributes of files is not supported with protocol smb
      And all the files I was MOVING are now deleted. They didn't move.

Any Suggestions on what is going on, or a restart on how to correctly setup file sharing between 2 linux machines with access from win32 OS?

Comment

The "attributes" could be folder or file permissions, or owner name or group name, or some of the previous or all of the previous.

I have never done what you are doing but IF I ran into a problem like that I'd compare the file and owner permissions of the folders and files I want to back up with the folder, file permissions and owner of the destination folder.

Change one side or the other till they match, then retry the backup command.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X