X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma issues

Hi,
    Sorry if this thread have more than 1 tips/issue that I view since I installed kubuntu 20.04.

I installed this beta since few days ago, really works fine fine, but I have some tips that I can't solved:
    -Plasma integration: When start for first time Firefox and Chrome, automatic appears a box for integration, click and install the extesion for integration.
    In chromium, not was appears this, I view now that, chromium, install by Discover or Synpatic is install by Snap (and if I install with Synaptic appears not install in discover and viceversa).
    I go to plasma integration page: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Browser_Integration and select for Chrome, Chromium and Vivaldi, at Vivaldi, I can install this extension without problems, but in Chromium...impossible, install the extension but always, when click in the icon of extesion appears "Impossible connect to server".

-In System Preferences - Regional Preferences - Languages, appears English (my system is in spanish) if click in add languages, the screen where the languages should appear is constantly flashing and I can't do anything else.

- And the buttom for sleep desktop, some times dissapear, I think is when restart computer, and others times (don't know when or how) appears again.

For the rest, fantastic this 20.04!!!

The best for you!
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 20, 2020, 09:13 AM.

There is another thread here under Focal Testing of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS that mentions problems with snap packages as well as with Discover.
    For the moment it seems best to work without snap, a way to permanently remove it is given.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ht=purge+snapd
    Discover is a work in progress, right now you are better off with apt on the command line, Muon or indeed Synaptic.

Personally I have not played with Chromium so I can't be of help, however, as a Chromium based browser I did install SRWare Iron but I have not seen any option to get Plasma integration.
    Plasma integration works fine on Firefox, since many years my preferred browser.

About the flashing screen for language selection, what type of video card/driver do you have enabled?
    Last edited by Teunis; Apr 20, 2020, 11:14 AM. Reason: Catchall

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      There is another thread here under pre-release testing that mentions problems with snap packages as well as with Discover.
      For the moment it seems best to work without snap, a way to permanently remove it is given.
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ht=purge+snapd
      Discover is a work in progress, right now you are better off with apt on the command line, Muon or indeed Synaptic.
      Ok, like read, the suggest its, uninstall snapd, and then, install that I want (in this case, Chromium) for me I prererer this, thanks.

Personally I have not played with Chromium so I can't be of help, however, as a Chromium based browser I did install SRWare Iron but I have not seen any option to get Plasma integration.
      Plasma integration works fine on Firefox, since many years my preferred browser.
      Yes, for me, also, Firefox very good but...I'm a person that, always have a lot tabs open, and in the past of time, I view that, FF consume more ram thant other.

About the flashing screen for language selection, what type of video card/driver do you have enabled?
      Mu graphic card:
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ inxi -Gx              
      [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Graphics:  Device-1:[/B][/COLOR] AMD Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]  
                [COLOR=#5454FF][B]vendor:[/B][/COLOR] PC Partner Limited [COLOR=#5454FF][B]driver:[/B][/COLOR] radeon [COLOR=#5454FF][B]v:[/B][/COLOR] kernel [COLOR=#5454FF][B]bus ID:[/B][/COLOR] 0a:00.0  
                [COLOR=#5454FF][B]Display:[/B][/COLOR] x11 [COLOR=#5454FF][B]server:[/B][/COLOR] X.Org 1.20.8 [COLOR=#5454FF][B]driver:[/B][/COLOR] radeon [COLOR=#5454FF][B]FAILED:[/B][/COLOR] ati  
                [COLOR=#5454FF][B]unloaded:[/B][/COLOR] fbdev,modesetting,vesa [COLOR=#5454FF][B]resolution:[/B][/COLOR] 1920x1080~60Hz  
                [COLOR=#5454FF][B]OpenGL:[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#5454FF][B]renderer:[/B][/COLOR] AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.0-25-generic LLVM 9.0.1)  
                [COLOR=#5454FF][B]v:[/B][/COLOR] 3.3 Mesa 20.0.4 [COLOR=#5454FF][B]direct render:[/B][/COLOR] Yes 
      [/FONT]
      Thanks and regards.

Comment

I should have mentionned it is best to remove any snapd applications before removing snapd.
        Next you can install the regular .deb versions of the applications.

Hmm, so the radion driver module failed, it looks like whatever is the fallback for this AMD video is not working 100%.
        But this needs input of someone more familiar with radion...

Comment

I should have mentionned it is best to remove any snapd applications before removing snapd.
          Next you can install the regular .deb versions of the applications.
          Hmm, so the radion driver module failed, it looks like whatever is the fallback for this AMD video is not working 100%.
          But this needs input of someone more familiar with radion...
          It's possible this, I don't remeber what kernel version I was have installed in my last 18.04.4, I think is the same but I don't remember...
          I can install oibaf...

Thanks and regards.

PD : I forgot to mention in the initial thread, apart from what was mentioned, when I open Dolphin, in my places, everything appears except root, root does not appear, only in Devices, the complete hard disk appears.

Comment

Teunis, I installed Iron64 this afternoon from a deb package on their website. I find it to be very unstable. It "Oh snap!"'s a lot but the reload button works fast. When it's not "snapping" it work fine. Have you seen this?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeed, in your post https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post433876 you indicate:
              "I deleted spand..."
              Only with
              " sudo apt remove snapd " ?

Sorry for my estupid question...is the first time that I need remove/disable snapd, never I was work with this...

Regards.
              sudo apt remove snapd

Comment

Do you have the following packages installed?

xserver-xorg-video-ati
                xserver-xorg-video-radeon

On my system with the inxi command I get:

Code:
                 inxi -Gx
                Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
                         Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Polaris 22 XL [Radeon RX Vega M GL] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
                         driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
                         Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,modesetting FAILED: ati unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
                         resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz 
                         OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) 
                         v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.0-devel (git-a1f6ae4 2020-04-20 focal-oibaf-ppa) direct render: Yes

Comment

@ GreyGeek, I hadn't used Iron for a while so I started it up and almost immediately I saw a crash report for chrome.

Yet all kept working s should be. Next I opened a few websites and noticed a recurring message Sorry, something went wrong displaying this page, Try again. (or similar).
                  On reload all works as expected but this message comes up too often.
                  Because it mainly shows up the first time a particular site is visited I would almost believe it is a sort of caching error.

All together, this is a 'new' problem.

@wonder, yes after using Firefox for a while it is hoarding more and more memory and eventually it slows down.
                  It seems this is because it is not releasing memory once a page is closed.
                  As a hobby photographer I like to get inspiration from various photography sites and open particular photo's in separate tabs (middle click).
                  Once viewed I delete the tab but this will not release the memory used.

Luckily there is an easy 'fix' by every so often closing Firefox and reopening it, the setting to start with the previous pages works fine and it does release the memory.
                  Last edited by Teunis; Apr 21, 2020, 06:08 AM. Reason: Bold

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    Do you have the following packages installed?

xserver-xorg-video-ati
                    xserver-xorg-video-radeon

On my system with the inxi command I get:

Code:
                     inxi -Gx
                    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
                            Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Polaris 22 XL [Radeon RX Vega M GL] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
                            driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
                            Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,modesetting FAILED: ati unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
                            resolution: 3840x2160~30Hz 
                            OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) 
                            v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.0-devel (git-a1f6ae4 2020-04-20 focal-oibaf-ppa) direct render: Yes
                    Yes, I have installed this 2 packages.
                    I view in your inxi command that you use oibaf.

Today I can add a language, in the screen that constantly flashing, move the mouse, and at the end, stop flashing and I can add a language.

In the other, I uninstall and remove complety the snapd, any service of snapd are installed. When I go to synaptic to install chromium, this go to install also snapd, its like chromiun are installed via snapd yes or yes...

Comment

Yes, chromium is snap-only. Chrome is available via deb package, it adds its repository.

There are quite a few chromium-based browsers you could try instead.
                      Brave browser and Opera are not bad.
                      Opera has built-in VPN (it works) and Brave built-in Tor - without installing tor - and it also works.

Comment

@wonder, yes after using Firefox for a while it is hoarding more and more memory and eventually it slows down.
                        It seems this is because it is not releasing memory once a page is closed.
                        As a hobby photographer I like to get inspiration from various photography sites and open particular photo's in separate tabs (middle click).
                        Once viewed I delete the tab but this will not release the memory used.

Luckily there is an easy 'fix' by every so often closing Firefox and reopening it, the setting to start with the previous pages works fine and it does release the memory.
                        Yes, this is the problem and solution...

I work since yesterday in disabled snapd and, I have disabled/removed snapd but chromium only its possible install with snapd...

I'm thinking in return to 18.04

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                          Yes, chromium is snap-only. Chrome is available via deb package, it adds its repository.

There are quite a few chromium-based browsers you could try instead.
                          Brave browser and Opera are not bad.
                          Opera has built-in VPN (it works) and Brave built-in Tor - without installing tor - and it also works.
                          I was reply my last reply but I don't view this post, sorrys.

Then, I understand that, in 20.04 we need have activate/enabled snapd if we want use chromium, only with this method, we can install chrowmium, its true?

Thanks and regards!

Comment

Well, it's nothing to do with 20.04. Chromium is only available via snap on - I think - any ubuntu-based distro.
                            From what I read, you can get a a chromium beta from this PPA.

Still, the obvious question: Do you really need chromium?
                            Wouldn't Brave or Opera or Vivaldi do the same job?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                              Well, it's nothing to do with 20.04. Chromium is only available via snap on - I think - any ubuntu-based distro.
                              I have a laptop with lubuntu 20.04 beta, not have installed in this laptop a chromium, I go to view, and yes, if I want install chromium in this laptop with lubuntu 20.04 beta, also, only can install with snapd...

From what I read, you can get a a chromium beta from this PPA.
                              Thanks for the link.

Still, the obvious question: Do you really need chromium?
                              Wouldn't Brave or Opera or Vivaldi do the same job?
                              Yes, good question, I really need chromium? The response is...NOT.
                              Only is, a since or lot years using chromium for some works,
                              it's just a habit, chrome I use it for some things, chromium for others and vivaldi for others.
                              Just get used to using another one.

As I have read in this thread or others, snapd uses certain consumptions and resources that I do not need to be consumed.

I can use Opera for the works that I use in chromium.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                              X