This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
    8Gb and 16Gb USB sticks are pretty cheap nowadays and I have about 3 or 4 on my desk so I used Etcher to write it to one. Much better! But I was sorely tempted by Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.04 so I overwrote it :-) I'm torn between DDE and Cinnamon for the boss. Kubuntu, or KDE Plasma is way too much desktop for her!
    So are 32 and 64Gb USB sticks! I have a lot of them. But, for the last year or so I've been using the ISO directly.

I'd recommend UbuntuDDE for your wife. A DE can't get any simpler than that to use, IMO. And, it is lightning fast, stable and beautiful. It will do everything she probably wants to do without problems. Install TimeShift and a 2nd HD or SSD and use that HD or SSD as the destination for the backup copies. Set TimeShift to make automatic backups, keeping only the last two or three only, so that you don't have to worry about her losing anything. The UDDE "Control" panel is as simple as it gets, very plain and easy to understand, but very effective. It is not hard to figure out and won't give her any troubles.

Yesterday, for grins and giggles, I decided to see what would happen if I installed the plasma-desktop onto UDDE. The installation was problem free and 311 packages were installed. I logged out, expecting to see a dropdown combo button on the login page allowing me to choose between Deepin and Plasma. No such button was present.

So, I ran the KDE Systemsettings program and on the user account page I did find such a button and set it to plasma. When I logged out there was NO DE option available on the login page. I tried rebooting as well.

However, Deepin was built using the Qt5 API so all of the Plasma packages were compatible. When I did "sudo apt purge plasma-desktop" only 87 packages were removed. In the Terminal I did "sudo apt autoremove" and another 150 or so disconnected packages were uninstalled. Several KDE apps were left behind but the ones I've tried work fine. Dolphin, KWrite, kpat and others. None of these gymnastics changed the systemd files in any way.

She'll love that hummingbird!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 23, 2020, 11:34 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've been downloading all the release ISOs today, except Gnome. which I hate. I will be trying each of them in Virtualbox. The minimal Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix ISO really is minimal There are no applications included at all!
      Last edited by Beerislife; Apr 24, 2020, 01:51 AM.
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
        I've been downloading all the release ISOs today, except Gnome. which I hate. I will be trying each of them in Virtualbox. The minimal Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix ISO really is minimal There are no applications included at all!
        After you install each one let your wife play with it and see how she likes it. Install them two and a time and run them simultaneously so she can switch between them. Then have her choose one and delete the other, replacing it with a new choice. Continue that till one distro is left out of the bunch. SHE has discovered which one she likes the most out of all she tried.

Personally, my wife uses an Acer Notebook, AO521. I bought it for her in 2010. It is currently running 18.04 LTS. She uses it for Gmail, YouTube and browsing the Internet, all running FireFox. She has one icon on the toolbar, FF. After she clicks that she has two bookmarks on the bookmark toolbar: GMail and YouTube. If she runs into trouble she has an IT tech at her beck and call 24/7/365 ... me. Since her heart operation in 2015, however, she uses the Notebook less and less. She spends most of her time using her smartphone, an iPhone8, to watch YT, check GMail, look at the weather, play solitaire and browse. And she uses mainly SMS to keep in contact with everyone. I haven't seen her use the Notebook in several months, perhaps a year. It's probably too complicated.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X