This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] keyboard shortcuts

Surely I'm not the only one who finds keyboard shortcuts to be very useful, but the plethoria of them is quite confusing for beginners.
    On top of that many applications will override those from the window manager, and have their own shortcuts.
    So I started learning about that from the System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts -> KWin, and wrote a small python script
    to list them so I can grep through it.
    Is there no alternative to wading through the system settings menus?

I started writing a script helping me to show the settings.
    My first draft of this (python) script is in https://github.com/teuben/teunix/blo.../ksettings_all
    but this one only parses the global settings in ~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc

Anybody have alternatives? Is this script worth expanding on, I'm thinking of adding common apps once I find
    the settings file.
    Last edited by teuben; Apr 19, 2020, 08:54 AM. Reason: accidentally saved it after 2 lines

Originally posted by teuben View Post
    ... many applications will override those from the window manager, and have their own shortcuts.

... adding common apps once I find the settings file.
    Re. "... many applications will override those from the window manager, and have their own shortcuts."
    Do you mean that many applications override the default settings provided by the OS? Maybe you could provide a few instances (and maybe file a bug)?

Re. "... adding common apps once I find the settings file."
    My guess is that there's no one common settings file. I think applications store their application-specific shortcuts internally and perhaps each application has its own way of storing its shortcuts. Whether this information is accessible to the user via an application-specific GUI, or in a simple text file or in some sort of database would depend on the application.

One possible way to ferret out which file of an application stores user-set shortcuts (and possibly the default ones as well), is this:

Close as many open applications, especially browsers, as possible but keep a terminal window open at $HOME.
    Open the application of interest.
    Don't do anything for a minute.
    Now set or modify a shortcut in your application.
    Save and exit the application.
    Immediately switch to the terminal and run
    find -newermt "1 min ago" -ls
    This command may take a while but will recursively list files altered in the last minute and, with a little luck, you should be able to identify the relevant file.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
    X