Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Extended Boot Time

Hi,

So, each time I boot up, after i have put in my login info and hit enter, my disk usage goes really hard for about 30 minutes andter my desktop finally pops up my cpu cores remain at 100% for around 10 to 20 minutes. After that, everything works great, but 20 minutes to book is extremely unusual, and it has been doing this for a couple of weeks it seems. How can I determine the problem?

Thanks

Sounds like a badly behaving baloo. For me baloo has got the file in .local/share/baloo/index messed up and it goes rogue.

tl;dr disable it in system settings, search, uncheck "Enable File Search", or on the command line balooctl disable.

If you want to look in to this further or maybe you use dolphin's search (which is powered by the baloo index):
    • Check out the file size of .local/share/baloo/index. I've seen it reach hundreds of MB. Sometimes, if I disable baloo, delete the index and index.lock, and reenable baloo, it works properly for a few days. The index takes only a few seconds to build (for me), and since most of my 24,000-odd files are photos and music, and baloo only looks at the metadata, a freshly built index is only 20 MB. I imagine that with GB of documents, baloo is supposed to index all the text, the index might be much larger.
    • Uncheck "Also index file content" on that system settings page. For me, in previous versions, maybe bionic, that would make it much less likely to go beserk. But, the last time I let it run for a few days, some time last year, it didn't make much difference.

Search KFN to see my past rants about baloo. I really don't like it, it's designed to be opaque and unfixable.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Typing
      in a terminal (during the high-usage time) would show you which processes are taking up CPU cycles.
      Ksysguard (System Montitor) has a slightly more colourful version of it :·)

Comment

systemd-analyze will provide useful information as to what is going on during the startup process. See: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...analyze.1.html
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          systemd-analyze will provide useful information as to what is going on during the startup process. See: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...analyze.1.html
          tweak@AmigaBuntu:~$ systemd-analyze blame
          13min 50.545s fstrim.service
          56.995s apt-daily-upgrade.service
          16.959s man-db.service
          12.284s mpd.service
          10.697s udisks2.service
          10.291s snapd.service
          9.638s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
          8.131s networkd-dispatcher.service
          6.921s ModemManager.service
          5.537s logrotate.service
          5.071s accounts-daemon.service