This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updater failing to upgrade, Kubuntu 20.04 Beta

Today, my updater in the panel shows 318 packages available . However it fails to upgrade. It opens up a dialog telling me some lib packages (about 10-12) will be removed by update in order to install the followings (a listing of remaining packages). when I click on "proceed" button, it does nothing and keeps on repeating this process in response to pressing "Fully Upgrade" tab on the updater.
    Both apt-get and Muon package manager fail as well.
    What is going on? Any body experiencing this?

Close any GUI package management program that may be running, then open a Konsole and type: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Close any GUI package management program that may be running, then open a Konsole and type: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
      Got error message to the effect that saying, could not get lock/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It's held by process 4985 (unintended-upgr).
      The only GUI is the minimized updater in the panel. No other gui is open.

Comment

You can delete the lock file. In konsole type: sudo rm /var/cache/apt/lock

Then: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Comment

Got error message to the effect that saying, could not get lock/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It's held by process 4985 (unintended-upgr).
          The only GUI is the minimized updater in the panel. No other gui is open.
          You can delete the lock file. In konsole type: sudo rm /var/cache/apt/lock

Then: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
          If this does not work, you need to try and delete the file mentioned in the error: /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend

Comment

[QUOTE=claydoh;435904]If this does not work, you need to try and delete the file mentioned in the error: /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend

The error message i mentioned in post #3, specifically warns removing /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend is not a solution and may break and mess up your installation.

Comment

Try clearing the apt cache:
              First, reboot.
              Then:
              sudo apt update
              sudo apt clean
              sudo apt autoclean

Then do:
              sudo apt full-upgrade
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello Folks, today before doing anything else, I run "sudo apt update" which indicated a bunch of additional packages available for upgrade. So, I continued with "sudo apt dist-upgrade". Bingo! it finished up without any problem. All together about 400 packages were downloaded and installed.
                It seems the system sort of self corrected and all is OK now.
                I wounder if this is still a Beta version.
                Thanks to all!
                P.S. BTW, GG I tried mailto, it opened up a dialog asking for my email client. Among T. bird, kmail, gmail, etc, I selected kmail and it worked perfect. Just FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                  ...I continued with "sudo apt dist-upgrade"...
                  Likely you meant "sudo apt full-upgrade" as apt doesn't use dist-upgrade (apt-get did/does).

Comment

Likely you meant "sudo apt full-upgrade" as apt doesn't use dist-upgrade (apt-get did/does).
                    Yes! It is "sudo apt full-upgrade".
                    The upgrade and other many commands I use frequently are saved in my Terminal console, and I use down arrow to bring them up while i need them. Thanks for correction!

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                      P.S. BTW, GG I tried mailto, it opened up a dialog asking for my email client. Among T. bird, kmail, gmail, etc, I selected kmail and it worked perfect. Just FYI.
                      I waited until the next update and, as I expected, after it completed my mailto worked (works) perfectly! Ya just gota love those devs!
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X