Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I accidentally missed up VirtualBox please help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I accidentally missed up VirtualBox please help.

I accidentally messed up VirtualBox please help. I was trying to install VirtualBox 6 over my VirtualBox 5 and it didn't upgrade so I uninstalled VirtualBox 5 from the Discover Software Center then went to install VirtualBox 6 from the deb file I got from the VirtualBox website. But now when I try to run a VM I get error messages first the one from VB: failed to open a session for virtual machine then a system error that says:

RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
    Last edited by SuperSapien64; Apr 14, 2020, 06:48 PM. Reason: To correct spelling errors.

You're probably posting this on the wrong forum, but you probably just need to remove the dkms vbox drivers. Open a terminal, type "dkms status" and ti will show you what if any vbox drivers are installed.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86740

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      You're probably posting this on the wrong forum, but you probably just need to remove the dkms vbox drivers. Open a terminal, type "dkms status" and ti will show you what if any vbox drivers are installed.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86740
      All right I tried the command dkms status and here's what happened:

nvidia, 435.21, 5.3.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed
      nvidia, 435.21, 5.3.0-46-generic, x86_64: installed
      virtualbox, 5.2.34, 5.3.0-45-generic, x86_64: installed
      virtualbox, 5.2.34, 5.3.0-46-generic, x86_64: installed

Comment

OK, well if your going to install VirtualBox 6 you're going to have to completely uninstall VirtualBox 5 first and remove those kernel modules.I believe that just uninstalling Vbox 5 will also remove the modules. Check dkms again after uninstalling Vbox.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          OK, well if your going to install VirtualBox 6 you're going to have to completely uninstall VirtualBox 5 first and remove those kernel modules.I believe that just uninstalling Vbox 5 will also remove the modules. Check dkms again after uninstalling Vbox.
          So should I try this to completely uninstall VirtualBox? Code:
          sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox

https://askubuntu.com/questions/7037...ove-virtualbox

Comment

Hello its been six days and I haven't heard a response yet.

Comment

Working...
            X