Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't get to Configure Software Sources page in Muon Package Manager

My 20.04 is fully up to date. I can launch Muon Package Manager just fine. However, clicking on Settings > Configure Software Sources doesn't take me to the page expected. After entering my pwd, it updates the package caches and returns me to the main screen. I'm not taken to the expected page. Anyone else seeing this?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Not seeing that here using updated 20.04 on a VM

Please Read Me

Comment

Rebooted the laptop. Muon Package Manager still behaving as I've reported; it won't take me to the Software Sources page.

When the password window is presented, the command that is being run shows as: /usr/bin/software-properties-kde --attach 4194310 --dont-update

What command is to be run for you?

Comment

Same. Different number after attach obviously

Please Read Me

Comment

Running the same command from the konsole without the "attach" option pops open the Software sources window.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmm. Anything come to mind as to why Muon Package Manager works as expected for you, but not here? Anything you can think of that I can check on?

Comment

Nothing yet. I even was able to add "Canonical Partners" to sources and it works as expected. This is a plain vanilla 20.04 install. Updated fully but not really used.

Maybe try a different user account? Have you tried launching the software sources as a stand-alone? Might point us at Muon or show the sources app as the problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

I may be totally wrong here, but... in Kubuntu 20.04, the "driver manager" launches software-properties-gtk, does it not?
                Would that let you configure the sources? (it does on neon. Sorry, I can't boot into K20 just now).

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                  I may be totally wrong here, but... in Kubuntu 20.04, the "driver manager" launches software-properties-gtk, does it not?
                  Would that let you configure the sources? (it does on neon. Sorry, I can't boot into K20 just now).
                  No, in Kubuntu , kubuntu-driver-manager is a System Settings module, and is not not embedded/attached to software-properties-kde. Software-properties-gtk is not part of a normal Kubuntu install.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Nothing yet. I even was able to add "Canonical Partners" to sources and it works as expected. This is a plain vanilla 20.04 install. Updated fully but not really used.

Maybe try a different user account? Have you tried launching the software sources as a stand-alone? Might point us at Muon or show the sources app as the problem.
                    Same behavior with a new user. Odd.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      No, in Kubuntu , kubuntu-driver-manager is a System Settings module, and is not not embedded/attached to software-properties-kde. Software-properties-gtk is not part of a normal Kubuntu install.
                      Oops :·)
                      Still, they look suspiciously ;·) similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kdm.png
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	644638

Click image for larger version

Name:	spgt.png
Views:	1
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	644639

But anyway... the KDM will let you configure the sources, right? Will that work?

Comment

They look similar because they are both created by Ubuntu. Both are python code with one using gtk bindings and the other using KDE ones. I imagine that they made both variants work and look the same nowadays.

The driver module is still in system settings but it did not used to be in the Software Sources applet previously.

Admittedly I have not used the driver manager in ages now and have not checked in on it since 18.04.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by claydoh; Apr 14, 2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Just to 'see', I ran software-properties-kde in a konsole and got:
                          software-properties-kde
                          Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/usr/bin/software-properties-kde", line 38, in <module>
                          from softwareproperties.qt.SoftwarePropertiesQt import SoftwarePropertiesQt
                          File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/qt/SoftwarePropertiesQt.py", line 56, in <module>
                          from UbuntuDrivers import detect
                          ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'UbuntuDrivers'

Comment

But anyway... the KDM will let you configure the sources, right? Will that work?

Comment

Found the cause. With the output of running software-properties-kde in a konsole and noting this: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'UbuntuDrivers' I searched for ubuntu-drivers in Muon Package Manager which found ubuntu-drivers-common that was not installed. I installed it from a konsole: sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers-common and after it finished, relaunched Muon Package Manager. Clicking on Settings > Configure Software Sources now works.

This has never happened to me in all past installations of Muon Package Manager (sudo apt install muon). So it seems that ubuntu-drivers-common is a REQUIRED dependency, but not identified as such in the muon packaging details in 20.04. Would I be correct in this?

Comment

Working...
                              X