X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network survey

Hi
    I installed a network survey widget on my kubuntu 19.04 Desktop wifi connected.
    I see peeks 8 to 16kbps every 2 or 3s, even when I don't think accessing the network like now that I'm just writing a post in the editor. I think that it may be thunderbird's conexions to get mail but how can I verify who is accessing the net and what for ?
    (I want to verify that there are no firefox plugins or something accessing the net that I do not know)

Any contribution apreciated

Open a Konsole and issue
    netstat -alp

Or, since netstat is obsolete, issue
    ss -alp

ss has many more interesting options. Use "man ss" to learn more.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 14, 2020, 09:34 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Wouldn't <sudo> iftop be more informative?

[EDIT] Tip: press q to exit :·)
      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Apr 14, 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Mind you. I also get some network traffic when not doing anything network-related. Conky tells me so.
        According to iftop etc., most of it is to my router and phone. 224.0.0.251 stuff is probably just the avahi deamon.
        Other connections are unexplainable. If you check them out, a lot will turn up on AbuseIPDB and the like.

So what are they? Are they port-scanning and the like? Probably.
        Should you be worried about them? Well, probably not, maybe yes, it depends.

Click image for larger version

Name:	arrabbiato1.gif
Views:	12
Size:	525 Bytes
ID:	644637

Comment

Working...
        X