X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to pass Beta to LTS?

Hi,
    Sorry if this question its a "stupid question".
    I wotk with my desktop every day, now I work with kubuntu 18.04 and I think in install 20.04 beta, but I have this doubt:
    If I install the beta, can I then pass/upgrade it to the final version without formatting, as if it were a clean installation?

Thanks and regards.

Yes. After installing, just open a konsole and run sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade whenever you restart your PC, or daily, which ever occurs first.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed 20.04 in January, as I did for 18.04, 16.04, 14.04 and 12.04.
      In every instance I did what Snowhog advised you to do and the result was the same is if I had waited until it went golden before installing it. Zero problems, except those of my own making.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To summarize, there is zero action needed when running the beta. It becomes the final official release as it updates normally.

Comment

Sorry for my delay in reply.
          Thanks to all for your replys and help, all clear for me
          Then, this night I go to install 20.04 and made that you indicate in the next days.

Again, thank you very much!

Comment

It was a good question and excellent answers. Thank you.

Mick
            "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Thanks mick.kde,
              Yes, was a excellent answers, at the first, I'm not sure if my question was good. I'm working with kubuntu since a years, and I was have this doubt.
              Thank you very much!

PD: This night, I go to install 20.04 beta, until today, I made backups of my dades.
              Regards.

Comment

Hi (again),
                Sorry for this new doubt/question.
                I try to download a beta image, but I view 2 options, daily and release:
                http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/
                What difference are in this two options?

Again, thanks and sorrys.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
                  Hi (again),
                  Sorry for this new doubt/question.
                  I try to download a beta image, but I view 2 options, daily and release:
                  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/
                  What difference are in this two options?

Again, thanks and sorrys.

Nothing. The Current iso links to the most recent Daily.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Nothing. The Current iso links to the most recent Daily.
                    Perfect!
                    Thank you very much for your reply and help!

Comment

Hi,
                      Only for indicate, yesterday I was install kubuntu 20.04 beta, and replace my 18.04, thanks to all for your replies and indications.
                      I continue work and testing

Thanks and regards!

Comment

I'd personally prefer to wait till April 23rd to install the new LTS from the live DVD. That day seems to be the official release date for it. :s I'm nervous already.
                        Multibooting: Kubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04
                        Before: Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                        Win 10 sadly
                        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                          I'd personally prefer to wait till April 23rd to install the new LTS from the live DVD. That day seems to be the official release date for it. :s I'm nervous already.
                          Yes, there are only a few days left, so I asked if, by installing the beta, I could then make it LTS "as" if I had installed the LTS on launch day itself.
                          They told me that it is, and the commands for it.
                          And reading the posts and their experiences, I think everything will be fine.
                          I always waited for LTS, but this time, I have opted to install Beta and in 3 days it will be "really" the definitive version

I must say that, because it is Beta, but its operation and stability now, as of today ... is like an LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
                            I must say that, because it is Beta, but its operation and stability now, as of today ... is like an LTS.
                            I installed the beta this past weekend and have not had a single issue. Pleased, very pleased.

Mick
                            "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
                            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by mick.kde View Post
                              I installed the beta this past weekend and have not had a single issue. Pleased, very pleased.

Mick
                              Yes, I've been doing a lot of hard tests, and it really performs very well.Something like snapd commented in another thread that I have removed, and some small detail that is now solved.
                              It can be said that if it is not LTS it is almost almost almost.
                              And some very pleasant surprise I have taken that I will put in another thread, like birdtray, hd-idle ... but that, I better comment on another thread

Comment

Working...
                              X