This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailto on FF75 displays Account Wizard instead

The builtin "mailto" facility of FireFox has always been my goto for emailing a web link to a friend. The subject line is automatically filed in with the title of the web page.

On my Kubuntu 20.04 installation previous version of mailto on FireFox worked OK. After I upgraded to FireFox 75 mailto still worked OK, until an update within the last couple of days. I found mention of the problem four years ago, and on Windows. The solution in that link is not applicable to Linux. Unfortunately, it is one of the few links to the problem.

My Chromium browser mailto works fine. Thunderbird is the default email client in Settings, using the %s parameter. The %u setting makes no difference. When the Thunderbird Account Wizard pops up the write gui is just underneath it. Completing the account wizard produces a write gui that has no access to the Address book.

What I am going to try is to purge FireFox 75 and revert to the previous version.

EDIT:
    Mozilla STRONGLY advised against downgrading to a previous version for several reasons, so I took them at their word. Instead I purged FireFox 75, deleted related hidden files, rebooted, and reinstalled it. No change.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2020, 07:40 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Here, in my 20.04, fully up to date as of this evening and running FF 75.0 (64-bit), clicking on ... (Page actions) and clicking on Email Link... KMail opens a new message with my email prefilled (From and the URL Page Title prefilled on the Subject line. Works here.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Here, in my 20.04, fully up to date as of this evening and running FF 75.0 (64-bit), clicking on ... (Page actions) and clicking on Email Link... KMail opens a new message with my email prefilled (From and the URL Page Title prefilled on the Subject line. Works here.
      I tested the mailto using the Tor Browser and it would not work at all. That got me to thinking. I had put firejail in front of "firefox %s". I removed firejail and the mailto worked perfectly. Duh!
      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 13, 2020, 11:50 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Dito in my fully updated neon 18.04 with FF 75.0 64bit.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 13, 2020, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X